If you can squeeze out four stars from a review by Nathan S., you’re doing pretty well for yourself (ask the Shop Boyz about that, if you can find them). In that case Booth-favorite Phil Adé is doing just fine for himself, and judging from what he did last year, we have a lot to look forward to in 2011. From the man who brought listeners The Letterman comes the brand new soulful single, Used to Be. With Jahi Chambers on the boards, sultry female vocals in the background, which true hip-hop heads will recognize from Mos Def’s Ms. Fat Booty, fit right in with a minimalist beat and Adé’s creative style. Lyrically the Freestyle Series alum drops a mouthful on this track, bouncing from what has been to what will come for the up-and-coming talent: “Walking the road to riches, ain’t closing my street..cause when I’m done it won’t be what it used to be.” If Adé’s got you feeling a little reminiscent for the days when hip-hop used to be about more, be sure to keep a lookout for his latest project, A Different World, dropping in April.
Written by Sigurd on 01/30/11
Submit your Rating
368 Music Group
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Gimme Dat" (2009)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- T.I. ft. Young Thug, Lil Wayne & Jeezy - About The Money (Remix)
- Lupe Fiasco ft. Nikki Jean - Haile Selassie
- Every Logic Song We’ve Ever Featured
- Shady XV: Eminem is Dropping a New Album & I Don’t Care
- S1 Confirms Kanye West Working on New Album, Songs Are “Feel Good” #A3CProAudio
- 5 Fresh Songs You Might Have Missed (10/20)
- Heat Check: How Do You Feel About Drake’s “How About Now”
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (10/17)
- All 72 of Drakes Billboard Top 100 Songs
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.