I know what you’re thinking: “DMV phenom Phil Adé, jumping on the text-lingo bandwagon? What is this world coming to?! :-( :-( :-(“ Calm down, calm down - making its world premiere in the Booth, the exclusive freestyle alum‘s latest mixtape leak is so far from what the title would lead you to expect that it just might make you say, “OMG!” For starters, there’s nary a synth to be found in DopeSunny‘s production; instead, the beatsmith opts for chromatic brass samples and gritty percussion. On the lyrical tip, Phil passes up the obvious technology-themed puns in favor of fresh, polysyllabically-rhymed braggadocio (“I finally got my chance at the game, I’mma lock it up / so far ahead, I’m a dot in binoculars.”) and Rap-Up emcee Skillz follows suit, bombarding sucker emcees with diss after ingenious diss. I’d ask y’all how Ade’s OMG stacks up against the reader-approved Usher single and the reader-detested Kat DeLuna track that share its name, but this lyrically-driven cut is so different I’m not sure you could even make the comparison. In any case, those digging it will most definitely want to check out Phil’s OkayPlayer/DJBooth.net-sponsored The Letterman mixtape when it drops July 6.
Written by richard on 06/15/10
Submit your Rating
368 Music Group
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Gimme Dat" (2009)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Eminem Vs. DJ Whoo Kid - Shady Classics
- Omar LinX - Forgive Me
- Kid Cudi Thinks Hip-Hop Is Endangered - He’s Wrong
- Tayyib Ali - Keystone State of Mind III
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (11/21)
- What Rappers Would You Pick for “New York vs. Everybody”?
- Estonian Trap Rapper Tommy Cash is Going to Take Over the Internet
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.