The last time we heard from Phil Adé he was cruising Monte Carlo in his Monte Carlo, but all the globe trotting has apparently made the DMV emcee crave a place he can be quietly introspective, lay back and light up some Incense. Produced by frequent collaborator Sunny Norway, Incense is built around an appropriately hazy beat that leaves plenty of room to breathe, floating on a soft guitar and minimal production. Lyrically while Adé is his usually clever self (bonus points for the Rondo reference), by and large he’s much more personal and autobiographical than usual, revealing an emcee capable of some real depth. Mac Miller, who’s no stranger to the benefits of incense, jumps in to deliver a subtle hook and an equally measured verse; the Pittsburgh Kid personifies the word “mellow” on this one. All in all it’s just another reason for fans to pick up Adé’s upcoming album A Different World (Lisa Bonet not included), due to drop via our friends at 2Dope on July 19. In the meantime, feel free to use this track to cover up any suspicious smells emanating from your bedroom.
368 Music Group
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Gimme Dat" (2009)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Win an Exclusive Vinyl Version of De La Soul’s “Smell The Da.I.S.Y.” [CONTEST]
- DJ Drama x Don Cannon x Trendsetter Sense - The Boondocks Mixtape (Season 4)
- Mick Jenkins - Steam
- Top Hip Hop / R&B Music Chart (April 14, 2014)
- Future - Honest LP
- Nas - Illmatic XX
- Dizzy Wright - State of Mind EP
- Locksmith - A Thousand Cuts
- 25 Most Popular Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of March 2014
- The Best Hip Hop Songs & Albums of 2013!
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.