With last Monday’s unofficial “DMV Takeover,” we shined the spotlight on three buzzmaking emcees fixing to cement their region’s status as a hip-hop hotspot. Wale, Tabi Bonney, and RAtheMC, however, are just the vanguard of the larger D.C.-Maryland-Virginia movement—there are plenty of other up-and-comers hot on their heels; one of the foremost being Phil Adé. In addition to sharing a city of residence and a label home (Interscope) with Wale, Phil raised his profile performing as an opener for the Nike-rocking rapper. Gimme Dat, Adé‘s first DJBooth feature, finds the emcee showcasing some stylistic similarities with his higher-profile counterpart—a bouncy flow facilitated by swung percussion, wordplay-rich braggadocio, etc—but the left-of-center lyricism he brings to this cut is all his own. Spitting lines like, “I’m so good that my hood should be a monastery.” and “You rappers got it backwards like an ocean on a ship.” over el Rey‘s sparse horn groove, the emcee exhibits a slightly oddball brand of swagger that fans of his DMV peers are sure to appreciate. For more from this talented up-and-comer, download a copy of his Starting on JV mixtape, available now online.
Written by richard on 07/12/09
Submit your Rating
368 Music Group
First DJ Booth Appearance:
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Billion Dollars in an Elevator: The Definitive 2014 Hip-Hop Timeline
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- All 93 People Named on J. Cole’s “Note To Self” Outro
- Indie Savage: Crooked I Gets Physical With “Sex, Money & Hip-Hop”
- The Hip-Hop Albums I Need to Hear in 2015
- Meet Fanesha Fabre, the Voice Behind the “La Musica De Harry Fraud” Drop
- 1 Listen Album Review: J. Cole’s “2014 Forest Hills Drive” (aka F*cking Up Hip-Hop)
- The Most Sampled Rapper Voices in Hip-Hop History
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.