For those of us who grew up in the ‘80s A Tribe Called Quest is unarguably one of the best groups in hip-hop history, and while Q-Tip may get the majority of the attention, true Tribe fans know that Phife Dawg was just as responsible for the group’s dopeness. So you can only imagine my excitement when I saw the new Phife joint Pease Porridge ‘09 in my inbox this morning. A tribute/remix to another seminal crew De La Soul, Pease Porridge ’09 puts a new spin on De La’s old school classic, with DJ Rasta Root revamping the original production with some fresh boardwork and Phife paying fittingly lyrical homage, at one point even switching his flow into heavily accented lines on the second verse. I know my old school heads just had an orgasm reading this. You’re welcome. Pease Porridge ‘09 is off the tribute mixtape Mick Boogie, Terry Urban and Lemar & Dauley Present: Le Da Soul, out today.
Written by Nathan S. on 11/24/09
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"They Say (Remix)" (2011)
Total DJ Booth Features:
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Isaiah Rashad’s “Cilvia Demo” vs. Mick Jenkins’ “The Water[s]”
- What Rappers Would You Pick for “New York vs. Everybody”?
- The Worlds Needs a Freddie Gibbs x BJ The Chicago Kid Album
- Tasha The Amazon - Can’t Control Us
- Is Madonna Working on a Secret Rap Album?
- Estonian Trap Rapper Tommy Cash is Going to Take Over the Internet
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- All 72 of Drakes Billboard Top 100 Songs
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)