I know I say this on the regular, but damn, time flies! For example, it hardly feels like it’s been over a year since Phene made his Booth debut with Freedom Ain’t Free. Extended absence or no, the ATL/Central Pa.-repper’s hustle has continued unabated – after all, when you’re grinding towards global domination, you’ve gotta make every second count. Those curious about the motivations behind Phene’s grand ambitions can find some answers on new single Welcome to the World, an anthemic meditation on the artist’s journey to the top. Over the Baron Boys’ intrepid synth instrumental (complete with a silky chorus by rising R&B songstress Tenille), he explains that he’s after more than fame and fortune. Nice as the checks may be, they’re only a means of achieving his ultimate goal of putting the people he loves in a better place: “I want more for my fam and my friends, take ‘em out the street, show ‘em this ain’t where it ends.” Admirable? No doubt. As for whether Phene’s got what it takes to achieve global superstardom, I’ll let readers have the final say. Those digging this cut should keep it locked for details on the artist’s God on a Greyhound LP, coming soon.
Written by richard on 03/15/11
Submit your Rating
High Off Life, LLC.
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Freedom Ain't Free" (2010)
Total DJ Booth Features:
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Beyond the Lights: Machine Gun Kelly Learns to Act Like Himself
- Reggie Bonds - Stream of Consciousness Pt. 1
- Eminem Vs. DJ Whoo Kid - Shady Classics
- Kid Cudi Thinks Hip-Hop Is Endangered - He’s Wrong
- Tayyib Ali - Keystone State of Mind III
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (11/21)
- What Rappers Would You Pick for “New York vs. Everybody”?
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.