I know I say this on the regular, but damn, time flies! For example, it hardly feels like it’s been over a year since Phene made his Booth debut with Freedom Ain’t Free. Extended absence or no, the ATL/Central Pa.-repper’s hustle has continued unabated – after all, when you’re grinding towards global domination, you’ve gotta make every second count. Those curious about the motivations behind Phene’s grand ambitions can find some answers on new single Welcome to the World, an anthemic meditation on the artist’s journey to the top. Over the Baron Boys’ intrepid synth instrumental (complete with a silky chorus by rising R&B songstress Tenille), he explains that he’s after more than fame and fortune. Nice as the checks may be, they’re only a means of achieving his ultimate goal of putting the people he loves in a better place: “I want more for my fam and my friends, take ‘em out the street, show ‘em this ain’t where it ends.” Admirable? No doubt. As for whether Phene’s got what it takes to achieve global superstardom, I’ll let readers have the final say. Those digging this cut should keep it locked for details on the artist’s God on a Greyhound LP, coming soon.
Written by richard on 03/15/11
Submit your Rating
High Off Life, LLC.
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Freedom Ain't Free" (2010)
Total DJ Booth Features:
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Fast Food Music: How Our Hunger for More is Killing Hip-Hop
- Rihanna & Kanye’s “FourFiveSeconds” is a Blue Collar Anthem
- What If Drake Didn’t Sign To Young Money?
- Digging Up Your Favorite Rapper’s Hidden Internet Gems
- The Liberation of Lupe Fiasco on “Tetsuo & Youth”
- No Money, No Family: Iggy Azalea’s Insane Coming to America Story
- A Very Serious Lyrical Analysis of Lil Wayne’s “Sorry 4 The Wait 2”
- 2014 Best of the Booth Award Winners (The Complete List)
- Who Was the Worst Rapper of 2014?
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.