I know I say this on the regular, but damn, time flies! For example, it hardly feels like it’s been over a year since Phene made his Booth debut with Freedom Ain’t Free. Extended absence or no, the ATL/Central Pa.-repper’s hustle has continued unabated – after all, when you’re grinding towards global domination, you’ve gotta make every second count. Those curious about the motivations behind Phene’s grand ambitions can find some answers on new single Welcome to the World, an anthemic meditation on the artist’s journey to the top. Over the Baron Boys’ intrepid synth instrumental (complete with a silky chorus by rising R&B songstress Tenille), he explains that he’s after more than fame and fortune. Nice as the checks may be, they’re only a means of achieving his ultimate goal of putting the people he loves in a better place: “I want more for my fam and my friends, take ‘em out the street, show ‘em this ain’t where it ends.” Admirable? No doubt. As for whether Phene’s got what it takes to achieve global superstardom, I’ll let readers have the final say. Those digging this cut should keep it locked for details on the artist’s God on a Greyhound LP, coming soon.
Written by richard on 03/15/11
High Off Life, LLC.
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Freedom Ain't Free" (2010)
Total DJ Booth Features:
Member Reviews and Ratings
- After Wiz Khalifa’s “Blacc Hollywood”, What Does a Number One Album Mean?
- Jeezy - Seen It All: The Autobiography
- Cam’ron - 1st of the Month Vol. 3 EP
- Best/Worst of the Week: Andre 3000 All Day, Queen Bey Reigns & More
- Draft Day: What Label Should Your Favorite Rapper Sign To?
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (August 2014)
- “Views from All Day”: Drake, Kanye & The State of Hip-Hop Leaks
- Drake vs. Lil Wayne - The Hits
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)