I know I say this on the regular, but damn, time flies! For example, it hardly feels like it’s been over a year since Phene made his Booth debut with Freedom Ain’t Free. Extended absence or no, the ATL/Central Pa.-repper’s hustle has continued unabated – after all, when you’re grinding towards global domination, you’ve gotta make every second count. Those curious about the motivations behind Phene’s grand ambitions can find some answers on new single Welcome to the World, an anthemic meditation on the artist’s journey to the top. Over the Baron Boys’ intrepid synth instrumental (complete with a silky chorus by rising R&B songstress Tenille), he explains that he’s after more than fame and fortune. Nice as the checks may be, they’re only a means of achieving his ultimate goal of putting the people he loves in a better place: “I want more for my fam and my friends, take ‘em out the street, show ‘em this ain’t where it ends.” Admirable? No doubt. As for whether Phene’s got what it takes to achieve global superstardom, I’ll let readers have the final say. Those digging this cut should keep it locked for details on the artist’s God on a Greyhound LP, coming soon.
High Off Life, LLC.
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Freedom Ain't Free" (2010)
Total DJ Booth Features:
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Logic ft. Big Sean - Alright
- Top Remixes of the Month [April 2014]
- Asher Roth - Retrohash
- Iggy Azalea - The New Classic
- Joyner Lucas - Don’t Ask for Nothin
- Top Hip Hop / R&B Music Songs Chart (April 21, 2014)
- Behind The Boards Interview Series: Statik Selektah
- Future - Honest LP
- Win an Exclusive Vinyl Version of De La Soul’s “Smell The Da.I.S.Y.” [CONTEST]
- DJ Whoo Kid Breaks Down His Essential DJ Set-Up
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.