A buzzmaking producer’s remix of a Miguel joint is pretty much the opposite of a Sure Thing. When the original‘s so damn good, who knows whether a radically overhauled version will measure up? I’m happy to say that, on his debut DJBooth feature, French beatsmith Phazz proves equal to the difficult task he’s set for himself. Here, the understated Happy Perez production that backed the 2011 single gets switched for a shambling electro-funk arrangement fuelled by woozy keyboard chords and trap-tinged percussion. As if his beat weren’t audacious enough, Phazz tweaks the singer’s vocals to make it sound like he’s alternately inhaling helium and sodium hexaflouride. Off-kilter but undeniably catchy, this is one of three fresh remixes to be found on the producer’s new Reworks project. The album version of Sure Thing can be found on Miguel’s major-label debut set, All I Want Is You.
Written by richard on 10/7/13
Submit your Rating
This is the first song featured on DJBooth from this artist. If you would like to hear more, be sure to rate and comment!
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- The Hip-Hop Albums I Need to Hear in 2015
- 4 Fresh Songs (& An Album) You Might Have Missed (12/15)
- Meet Fanesha Fabre, the Voice Behind the “La Musica De Harry Fraud” Drop
- 1 Listen Album Review: Nicki Minaj’s (Kinda Boring) “The Pinkprint”
- Mike WiLL Made-It - Ransom
- All 93 People Named on J. Cole’s “Note To Self” Outro
- 1 Listen Album Review: J. Cole’s “2014 Forest Hills Drive” (aka F*cking Up Hip-Hop)
- The Most Sampled Rapper Voices in Hip-Hop History
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.