A buzzmaking producer’s remix of a Miguel joint is pretty much the opposite of a Sure Thing. When the original‘s so damn good, who knows whether a radically overhauled version will measure up? I’m happy to say that, on his debut DJBooth feature, French beatsmith Phazz proves equal to the difficult task he’s set for himself. Here, the understated Happy Perez production that backed the 2011 single gets switched for a shambling electro-funk arrangement fuelled by woozy keyboard chords and trap-tinged percussion. As if his beat weren’t audacious enough, Phazz tweaks the singer’s vocals to make it sound like he’s alternately inhaling helium and sodium hexaflouride. Off-kilter but undeniably catchy, this is one of three fresh remixes to be found on the producer’s new Reworks project. The album version of Sure Thing can be found on Miguel’s major-label debut set, All I Want Is You.
Written by richard on 10/7/13
Submit your Rating
This is the first song featured on DJBooth from this artist. If you would like to hear more, be sure to rate and comment!
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- What If Drake Didn’t Sign To Young Money?
- Digging Up Your Favorite Rapper’s Hidden Internet Gems
- The Liberation of Lupe Fiasco on “Tetsuo & Youth”
- No Money, No Family: Iggy Azalea’s Insane Coming to America Story
- A Very Serious Lyrical Analysis of Lil Wayne’s “Sorry 4 The Wait 2”
- Rap Lines That Make No Fucking Sense: The Comeback
- Saba, The Native Son #TopProspects
- 2014 Best of the Booth Award Winners (The Complete List)
- Who Was the Worst Rapper of 2014?
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.