A buzzmaking producer’s remix of a Miguel joint is pretty much the opposite of a Sure Thing. When the original‘s so damn good, who knows whether a radically overhauled version will measure up? I’m happy to say that, on his debut DJBooth feature, French beatsmith Phazz proves equal to the difficult task he’s set for himself. Here, the understated Happy Perez production that backed the 2011 single gets switched for a shambling electro-funk arrangement fuelled by woozy keyboard chords and trap-tinged percussion. As if his beat weren’t audacious enough, Phazz tweaks the singer’s vocals to make it sound like he’s alternately inhaling helium and sodium hexaflouride. Off-kilter but undeniably catchy, this is one of three fresh remixes to be found on the producer’s new Reworks project. The album version of Sure Thing can be found on Miguel’s major-label debut set, All I Want Is You.
This is the first song featured on DJBooth from this artist. If you would like to hear more, be sure to rate and comment!
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Logic ft. Big Sean - Alright
- Top Remixes of the Month [April 2014]
- Asher Roth - Retrohash
- Iggy Azalea - The New Classic
- Joyner Lucas - Don’t Ask for Nothin
- Top Hip Hop / R&B Music Songs Chart (April 21, 2014)
- Behind The Boards Interview Series: Statik Selektah
- Future - Honest LP
- Win an Exclusive Vinyl Version of De La Soul’s “Smell The Da.I.S.Y.” [CONTEST]
- DJ Whoo Kid Breaks Down His Essential DJ Set-Up
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.