Any day with new Pharoahe Monch is a good day, and in the immortal words of Ice Cube, today is a good day - plus I didn’t have to use my AK. Other than the occasional guest verse (The Matrix, Hurt U), it’s been nearly three years since we’ve heard from the complexly lyrical rapper, but as his new single Shine shows, the Pharoahe hasn’t lost a step. Crafted by legendary NY producer Diamond D, who weaves a xylophone melody in between boom-bap production, on the mic Pharoahe’s everything we’ve come to expect, letting the track breathe where it needs to, then jumping in with dope intelligence. Throw in a hook from the distinctly voiced Mela Machinko and you’ve got a track that illuminates even the darkest corner. Frankly, I don’t see how any true hip-hop head could hear Shine and not have a very, very good day; now all I need is the Goodyear blimp to read “Nathan S. is a pimp.” Shine is off Pharoahe’s upcoming album W.A.R. (We Are Renegades), due out soon via his own company W.A.R. Media and Duck Down Records.
Written by Nathan S. on 07/11/10
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Best/Worst of the Week: Wale & Seinfeld, Kendrick on “SNL” & More
- Obsessively Breaking Down the Demo Version of Eminem’s “Lose Yourself”
- Isaiah Rashad’s “Cilvia Demo” vs. Mick Jenkins’ “The Water[s]”
- What Rappers Would You Pick for “New York vs. Everybody”?
- The Worlds Needs a Freddie Gibbs x BJ The Chicago Kid Album
- Is Madonna Working on a Secret Rap Album?
- Estonian Trap Rapper Tommy Cash is Going to Take Over the Internet
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)