Any day with new Pharoahe Monch is a good day, and in the immortal words of Ice Cube, today is a good day - plus I didn’t have to use my AK. Other than the occasional guest verse (The Matrix, Hurt U), it’s been nearly three years since we’ve heard from the complexly lyrical rapper, but as his new single Shine shows, the Pharoahe hasn’t lost a step. Crafted by legendary NY producer Diamond D, who weaves a xylophone melody in between boom-bap production, on the mic Pharoahe’s everything we’ve come to expect, letting the track breathe where it needs to, then jumping in with dope intelligence. Throw in a hook from the distinctly voiced Mela Machinko and you’ve got a track that illuminates even the darkest corner. Frankly, I don’t see how any true hip-hop head could hear Shine and not have a very, very good day; now all I need is the Goodyear blimp to read “Nathan S. is a pimp.” Shine is off Pharoahe’s upcoming album W.A.R. (We Are Renegades), due out soon via his own company W.A.R. Media and Duck Down Records.
Written by Nathan S. on 07/11/10
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Epic Fail: Bobby Shmurda’s Label Cashed In & Then Bailed Out
- Open Mic: Why Rappers Need to Play Small Shows
- 1 Listen Album Review: Big Sean’s “Dark Sky Paradise”
- Could Kanye’s Rapper Reparations Idea Actually Work?
- Every Rapper is Going to Die & So Will I
- An Anti-Elitist Guide to Respecting Gucci Mane
- Breaking Down the Sordid Details of the Lil Wayne vs. Cash Money Lawsuit
- Oh My God, If Drake Dies Is He A Legend?
- Fine, You Got Me: Your Favorite Rapper’s First Tweet
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.