When legendary underground emcee Pharoahe Monch released War back in July, the first record we’d heard from the man in years, DJBooth Nation was overwhelmingly excited to hear new music….and then he disappeared once again. Whatever the reason for the hiatus, the important thing is that Pharoahe’s back today to drop off his new single Clap. On the beat M-Phazes unleashes the kind of soul sample meets head-nodding boom-bap production that Monch has been using to unleash his verbal aggression for years. Also featuring Showtyme providing an equally soulful chorus that blends perfectly and DJ Boogie Blind providing scratches and cuts all over the place, Pharoahe lyrically covers a variety of topics, from his struggles with cops to Mumia Abu-Jamal to, well, let’s just say he definitely doesn’t like the police. After far too long of an absence, it looks like hip-hop will finally have one of its strongest emcees back in the game when Pharoahe’s W.A.R. (We Are Renegades) drops in March. In the meantime, you know who you can count on to keep you clapping.
Written by Ivan Ibarra on 01/23/11
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Fast Food Music: How Our Hunger for More is Killing Hip-Hop
- Rihanna & Kanye’s “FourFiveSeconds” is a Blue Collar Anthem
- What If Drake Didn’t Sign To Young Money?
- Digging Up Your Favorite Rapper’s Hidden Internet Gems
- The Liberation of Lupe Fiasco on “Tetsuo & Youth”
- No Money, No Family: Iggy Azalea’s Insane Coming to America Story
- A Very Serious Lyrical Analysis of Lil Wayne’s “Sorry 4 The Wait 2”
- 2014 Best of the Booth Award Winners (The Complete List)
- Who Was the Worst Rapper of 2014?
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.