When legendary underground emcee Pharoahe Monch released War back in July, the first record we’d heard from the man in years, DJBooth Nation was overwhelmingly excited to hear new music….and then he disappeared once again. Whatever the reason for the hiatus, the important thing is that Pharoahe’s back today to drop off his new single Clap. On the beat M-Phazes unleashes the kind of soul sample meets head-nodding boom-bap production that Monch has been using to unleash his verbal aggression for years. Also featuring Showtyme providing an equally soulful chorus that blends perfectly and DJ Boogie Blind providing scratches and cuts all over the place, Pharoahe lyrically covers a variety of topics, from his struggles with cops to Mumia Abu-Jamal to, well, let’s just say he definitely doesn’t like the police. After far too long of an absence, it looks like hip-hop will finally have one of its strongest emcees back in the game when Pharoahe’s W.A.R. (We Are Renegades) drops in March. In the meantime, you know who you can count on to keep you clapping.
Written by Ivan Ibarra on 01/23/11
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- 2014, The Year I Learned to Say Fuck the Police
- Billion Dollars in an Elevator: The Definitive 2014 Hip-Hop Timeline
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- All 93 People Named on J. Cole’s “Note To Self” Outro
- Indie Savage: Crooked I Gets Physical With “Sex, Money & Hip-Hop”
- The Hip-Hop Albums I Need to Hear in 2015
- Meet Fanesha Fabre, the Voice Behind the “La Musica De Harry Fraud” Drop
- 1 Listen Album Review: J. Cole’s “2014 Forest Hills Drive” (aka F*cking Up Hip-Hop)
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.