In regard to most rappers, saying that they know their lyrics backward and forward would be a figure of speech. When it comes to The Pharcyde, that’s the gospel truth. Drop, the 1995 lead single off sophomore full-length Labcabincalifornia, is a classic by any standard, but what really makes it Throwback Thursday-worthy is the spectacular feat the South Central crew accomplished in creating the record’s official video. Inspired by the reversed samples contained in J. Dilla‘s beat (which borrows an iconic snippet from Beastie Boys classic The New Style), director Spike Jonze decided to shoot all footage for his video backwards. In order to make the effect convincing, Imani, Bootie Brown, Fatlip and Slimkid3 worked with linguists to learn to recite their verses in reverse. Since then, their stunt has found many imitators—including Weird Al Yankovic, who embedded a mini-parody of Drop into his video for Amish Paradise.
Written by richard on 08/8/13
This is the first song featured on DJBooth from this artist. If you would like to hear more, be sure to rate and comment!
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Trizz - Reality Check
- DJBooth City Cypher #1 (ft. Emilio Rojas, Maffew Ragazino, Black Dave, HD & Kirk Knight)
- It’s Electric: An EDM Guide For the Hip-Hop Head
- Best/Worst Of The Week: Coolio Turns To Porn, Nicki’s Comical Booty & More
- Russ, The Wild Card #TopProspects
- Sean Brown - The Top
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)
- Common - Nobody’s Smiling
- Real Recognize Real: Wrekonize on Pink Floyd, the Rise of TDE & More
- Bobby Shmurda is the New Worst Thing to Happen to Shmusic
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.