In regard to most rappers, saying that they know their lyrics backward and forward would be a figure of speech. When it comes to The Pharcyde, that’s the gospel truth. Drop, the 1995 lead single off sophomore full-length Labcabincalifornia, is a classic by any standard, but what really makes it Throwback Thursday-worthy is the spectacular feat the South Central crew accomplished in creating the record’s official video. Inspired by the reversed samples contained in J. Dilla‘s beat (which borrows an iconic snippet from Beastie Boys classic The New Style), director Spike Jonze decided to shoot all footage for his video backwards. In order to make the effect convincing, Imani, Bootie Brown, Fatlip and Slimkid3 worked with linguists to learn to recite their verses in reverse. Since then, their stunt has found many imitators—including Weird Al Yankovic, who embedded a mini-parody of Drop into his video for Amish Paradise.
Written by richard on 08/8/13
Submit your Rating
This is the first song featured on DJBooth from this artist. If you would like to hear more, be sure to rate and comment!
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- What Rappers Would You Pick for “New York vs. Everybody”?
- The Worlds Needs a Freddie Gibbs x BJ The Chicago Kid Album
- Tasha The Amazon - Can’t Control Us
- Is Madonna Working on a Secret Rap Album?
- RyattFienix - Ryse of the Fienix
- Estonian Trap Rapper Tommy Cash is Going to Take Over the Internet
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- All 72 of Drakes Billboard Top 100 Songs
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)