In regard to most rappers, saying that they know their lyrics backward and forward would be a figure of speech. When it comes to The Pharcyde, that’s the gospel truth. Drop, the 1995 lead single off sophomore full-length Labcabincalifornia, is a classic by any standard, but what really makes it Throwback Thursday-worthy is the spectacular feat the South Central crew accomplished in creating the record’s official video. Inspired by the reversed samples contained in J. Dilla‘s beat (which borrows an iconic snippet from Beastie Boys classic The New Style), director Spike Jonze decided to shoot all footage for his video backwards. In order to make the effect convincing, Imani, Bootie Brown, Fatlip and Slimkid3 worked with linguists to learn to recite their verses in reverse. Since then, their stunt has found many imitators—including Weird Al Yankovic, who embedded a mini-parody of Drop into his video for Amish Paradise.
Written by richard on 08/8/13
Submit your Rating
This is the first song featured on DJBooth from this artist. If you would like to hear more, be sure to rate and comment!
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Heat Check: How Do You Feel About Drake’s “How About Now”
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (10/17)
- Freddie Gibbs x Madlib ft. Action Bronson, Joey BadA$$ & Ransom - Knicks (Remix)
- All 79 Things Chance the Rapper Hates on “No Better Blues”
- Lupe Fiasco ft. Sirah - Lilies
- ShayGray - No Sense of Accomplishment
- F*ck Norms: Why the Critics Are Wrong About Yung Lean
- Lorenzo Asher, The Director #TopProspects
- All 72 of Drakes Billboard Top 100 Songs
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.