Damn, this new Peren Everett single is really Taking Me Back. OK, not really—this is my first encounter with the Chicago singer/songwriter/producer, and I’m not old enough to remember the classics that inspired his sound—but those looking to make some fond memories this summer could hardly find a better soundtrack than this freshly-released single. Over his own bubbly soulful-house grooves, the singer tells a story of heartbreak and redemption, in the process showcasing a knack for addictive melody and an appealingly retro vocal style. Like what you’re hearing? There will be plenty more where this came from on Everett’s King of Hearts LP, set to drop July 8, via indie label Makin’ Moves.
This is the first song featured on DJBooth from this artist. If you would like to hear more, be sure to rate and comment!
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Logic ft. Big Sean - Alright
- Top Remixes of the Month [April 2014]
- Asher Roth - Retrohash
- Iggy Azalea - The New Classic
- Joyner Lucas - Don’t Ask for Nothin
- Top Hip Hop / R&B Music Songs Chart (April 21, 2014)
- Behind The Boards Interview Series: Statik Selektah
- Future - Honest LP
- Win an Exclusive Vinyl Version of De La Soul’s “Smell The Da.I.S.Y.” [CONTEST]
- The Best Hip Hop Songs & Albums of 2013!
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.