Damn, this new Peren Everett single is really Taking Me Back. OK, not really—this is my first encounter with the Chicago singer/songwriter/producer, and I’m not old enough to remember the classics that inspired his sound—but those looking to make some fond memories this summer could hardly find a better soundtrack than this freshly-released single. Over his own bubbly soulful-house grooves, the singer tells a story of heartbreak and redemption, in the process showcasing a knack for addictive melody and an appealingly retro vocal style. Like what you’re hearing? There will be plenty more where this came from on Everett’s King of Hearts LP, set to drop July 8, via indie label Makin’ Moves.
Written by richard on 06/28/13
This is the first song featured on DJBooth from this artist. If you would like to hear more, be sure to rate and comment!
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Real Recognize Real: Wrekonize on Pink Floyd, the Rise of TDE & More
- Kanye Thinks Drake is #1 Right Now - Is He Right? (Rap Power Rankings)
- The Weeknd - King of the Fall
- Bobby Shmurda is the New Worst Thing to Happen to Shmusic
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Mick Jenkins, The Conscience #TopProspects
- Jeremih x Shlohmo - No More EP
- Drake’s New Album is Titled “Views From the 6”: Dope, Wack or Eh?
- Real Recognize Real: GoldLink on Loving Lil Bibby, Shaq & Robots
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (June 2014)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.