Damn, this new Peren Everett single is really Taking Me Back. OK, not really—this is my first encounter with the Chicago singer/songwriter/producer, and I’m not old enough to remember the classics that inspired his sound—but those looking to make some fond memories this summer could hardly find a better soundtrack than this freshly-released single. Over his own bubbly soulful-house grooves, the singer tells a story of heartbreak and redemption, in the process showcasing a knack for addictive melody and an appealingly retro vocal style. Like what you’re hearing? There will be plenty more where this came from on Everett’s King of Hearts LP, set to drop July 8, via indie label Makin’ Moves.
Written by richard on 06/28/13
This is the first song featured on DJBooth from this artist. If you would like to hear more, be sure to rate and comment!
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Drake vs. Lil Wayne - The Hits
- Run The Jewels - Blockbuster Night (Part 1)
- T.I. ft. Skylar Grey - New National Anthem
- Interview With a “White Rapper”: Rittz on Race, Respect & Hip-Hop
- Statik Selektah - What Goes Around
- Wiz Khalifa - Blacc Hollywood
- Kanye West is Right, the Media is the Fucking Worst
- The DJBooth Top Prospects EP (Vol. 1)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.