Damn, this new Peren Everett single is really Taking Me Back. OK, not really—this is my first encounter with the Chicago singer/songwriter/producer, and I’m not old enough to remember the classics that inspired his sound—but those looking to make some fond memories this summer could hardly find a better soundtrack than this freshly-released single. Over his own bubbly soulful-house grooves, the singer tells a story of heartbreak and redemption, in the process showcasing a knack for addictive melody and an appealingly retro vocal style. Like what you’re hearing? There will be plenty more where this came from on Everett’s King of Hearts LP, set to drop July 8, via indie label Makin’ Moves.
Written by richard on 06/28/13
Submit your Rating
This is the first song featured on DJBooth from this artist. If you would like to hear more, be sure to rate and comment!
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- What If Drake Didn’t Sign To Young Money?
- Digging Up Your Favorite Rapper’s Hidden Internet Gems
- The Liberation of Lupe Fiasco on “Tetsuo & Youth”
- No Money, No Family: Iggy Azalea’s Insane Coming to America Story
- A Very Serious Lyrical Analysis of Lil Wayne’s “Sorry 4 The Wait 2”
- Rap Lines That Make No Fucking Sense: The Comeback
- Saba, The Native Son #TopProspects
- 2014 Best of the Booth Award Winners (The Complete List)
- Who Was the Worst Rapper of 2014?
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.