In the heart of the 90’s, labels would throw $500k at a producer and $250k at a singer in order to provide their feature artist with the best possible musical accompaniment. As we have documented, via interviews with Cool & Dre and Swizz Beatz, production credits simply don’t earn what they once did. Although we can’t confirm or deny the same for guest singers, labels clearly must be cutting back; now more than ever before, rappers are singing their own hooks and bridges. Case in point: Petey Pablo. The man who helped put North Carolina on the map is back with his new single, Shawty Got Her Eyes On Me, in which he raps three verses and does the singing. While his new album, Diary of Mine, will likely drop before the end of 2008, it is unknown when rappers will stop singing.
Written by DJ Z on 02/4/08
Carolina Music Group
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Stick Up Man" (2006)
Total DJ Booth Features:
- Yelawolf - Till It’s Gone
- Big K.R.I.T. ft. Juicy J, Rittz & A$AP Ferg - Drinkers Club
- Once Lost, a Lil Wayne Fan Finds His Faith in “Carter V”
- Rick Ross ft. Project Pat - Elvis Presley Blvd.
- Big Sean - Untitled EP
- Chris Brown ft. Trey Songz - Songs on 12 Play
- Dyme-A-Duzin - Hip Hope
- Mick Jenkins - DJBooth RapBox Freestyle
- Kendrick Sued Over “Rigamortis”, Should He Pay Up? (A Sample Clearance Guide)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.