Though disturbing homicide rates in Southside Chicago and elsewhere have made urban gun crime a hot topic in the American media, you’ll rarely hear mainstream pundits put the issue in its proper social context. On his latest single, Drillin, NYC buzzmaker Perrion reminds listeners that unemployment, economic desperation, institutional racism, police brutality and the War on Drugs all play key roles in creating and sustaining the violence that ravages inner-city communities. Beatsmith MythSyzer backs the artist’s insightful bars with a slowed-down sample from Moby’s Porcelain, and W. Suárez directs the official video, featuring topical footage from local news broadcasts. Fans can find this thought-provoking jam and much more on Perrion’s DJBooth-hosted From Perry With Love tape, available for streaming and download as of September.
Written by richard on 10/24/13
Submit your Rating
Hasenpfeffer Ventures LLC
First DJ Booth Appearance:
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- DeJ Loaf - Sell Sole
- Heat Check: How Do You Feel About Drake’s “How About Now”
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (10/17)
- Freddie Gibbs x Madlib ft. Action Bronson, Joey BadA$$ & Ransom - Knicks (Remix)
- All 79 Things Chance the Rapper Hates on “No Better Blues”
- Lupe Fiasco ft. Sirah - Lilies
- ShayGray - No Sense of Accomplishment
- F*ck Norms: Why the Critics Are Wrong About Yung Lean
- All 72 of Drakes Billboard Top 100 Songs
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.