Though disturbing homicide rates in Southside Chicago and elsewhere have made urban gun crime a hot topic in the American media, you’ll rarely hear mainstream pundits put the issue in its proper social context. On his latest single, Drillin, NYC buzzmaker Perrion reminds listeners that unemployment, economic desperation, institutional racism, police brutality and the War on Drugs all play key roles in creating and sustaining the violence that ravages inner-city communities. Beatsmith MythSyzer backs the artist’s insightful bars with a slowed-down sample from Moby’s Porcelain, and W. Suárez directs the official video, featuring topical footage from local news broadcasts. Fans can find this thought-provoking jam and much more on Perrion’s DJBooth-hosted From Perry With Love tape, available for streaming and download as of September.
Written by richard on 10/24/13
Submit your Rating
Hasenpfeffer Ventures LLC
First DJ Booth Appearance:
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- 1 Listen Album Review: Big Sean’s “Dark Sky Paradise”
- Every Rapper is Going to Die & So Will I
- Rap Quiz: Bet You Can’t Guess The Album Cover Pt. 6
- An Anti-Elitist Guide to Respecting Gucci Mane
- Breaking Down the Sordid Details of the Lil Wayne vs. Cash Money Lawsuit
- Oh My God, If Drake Dies Is He A Legend?
- Fine, You Got Me: Your Favorite Rapper’s First Tweet
- 1 Listen Album Review: Drake’s “If You’re Reading This It’s Too Late”
- 2014 Best of the Booth Award Winners (The Complete List)
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.