Though disturbing homicide rates in Southside Chicago and elsewhere have made urban gun crime a hot topic in the American media, you’ll rarely hear mainstream pundits put the issue in its proper social context. On his latest single, Drillin, NYC buzzmaker Perrion reminds listeners that unemployment, economic desperation, institutional racism, police brutality and the War on Drugs all play key roles in creating and sustaining the violence that ravages inner-city communities. Beatsmith MythSyzer backs the artist’s insightful bars with a slowed-down sample from Moby’s Porcelain, and W. Suárez directs the official video, featuring topical footage from local news broadcasts. Fans can find this thought-provoking jam and much more on Perrion’s DJBooth-hosted From Perry With Love tape, available for streaming and download as of September.
Written by richard on 10/24/13
Submit your Rating
Hasenpfeffer Ventures LLC
First DJ Booth Appearance:
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- The Hip-Hop Albums I Need to Hear in 2015
- 4 Fresh Songs (& An Album) You Might Have Missed (12/15)
- Meet Fanesha Fabre, the Voice Behind the “La Musica De Harry Fraud” Drop
- 1 Listen Album Review: Nicki Minaj’s (Kinda Boring) “The Pinkprint”
- Mike WiLL Made-It - Ransom
- All 93 People Named on J. Cole’s “Note To Self” Outro
- 1 Listen Album Review: J. Cole’s “2014 Forest Hills Drive” (aka F*cking Up Hip-Hop)
- The Most Sampled Rapper Voices in Hip-Hop History
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.