Though disturbing homicide rates in Southside Chicago and elsewhere have made urban gun crime a hot topic in the American media, you’ll rarely hear mainstream pundits put the issue in its proper social context. On his latest single, Drillin, NYC buzzmaker Perrion reminds listeners that unemployment, economic desperation, institutional racism, police brutality and the War on Drugs all play key roles in creating and sustaining the violence that ravages inner-city communities. Beatsmith MythSyzer backs the artist’s insightful bars with a slowed-down sample from Moby’s Porcelain, and W. Suárez directs the official video, featuring topical footage from local news broadcasts. Fans can find this thought-provoking jam and much more on Perrion’s DJBooth-hosted From Perry With Love tape, available for streaming and download as of September.
Written by richard on 10/24/13
Submit your Rating
Hasenpfeffer Ventures LLC
First DJ Booth Appearance:
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- What If Drake Didn’t Sign To Young Money?
- The Liberation of Lupe Fiasco on “Tetsuo & Youth”
- No Money, No Family: Iggy Azalea’s Insane Coming to America Story
- A Very Serious Lyrical Analysis of Lil Wayne’s “Sorry 4 The Wait 2”
- Rap Lines That Make No Fucking Sense: The Comeback
- Saba, The Native Son #TopProspects
- Inside the Conspiracy Theory World of Childish Gambino’s Music Videos
- 2014 Best of the Booth Award Winners (The Complete List)
- Who Was the Worst Rapper of 2014?
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.