As Weezy proved with A Milli, a grimy, lyrically-driven record that trades the traditional hook for odd vocal samples repeated ad infinitum can be an insanely catchy, chart-smashing hit. Judging by his second Booth feature, Pay$0z has taken this lesson to heart. Frame It finds the Brooklyn emcee spitting one uninterrupted, free-association verse brimming with borderline nonsensical but frequently hilarious punchlines (“If you say I’m not hot, you’re lyin’/ N*gga I’m on over-steam like two ions), and non sequitur pop culture references. On the production tip, The Hit Circle fills the cut with lurching percussion and distorted synths, as well as a repeated noise that I can only describe as the sound of an angry cat rolling across a Casio keyboard. The result (at least to my ears) is pretty damned catchy. Pay$0z’ debut LP, Against the Grain, doesn’t drop till April, but DJBooth readers can look forward to his contribution to our exclusive freestyle series later this month.
Listen to More: Jeff Chery
Written by richard on 02/11/09
Team Rsinal Inc.
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Black Starz" (2008)
You Might Like...
Member Reviews and Ratings
- T.I. ft. Skylar Grey - New National Anthem
- Interview With a “White Rapper”: Rittz on Race, Respect & Hip-Hop
- Statik Selektah - What Goes Around
- Wiz Khalifa - Blacc Hollywood
- Top 20 Hip Hop / R&B Songs Chart (August 18, 2014)
- Kanye West is Right, the Media is the Fucking Worst
- The DJBooth Top Prospects EP (Vol. 1)
- DJBooth City Cypher #1 (ft. Emilio Rojas, Maffew Ragazino, Black Dave, HD & Kirk Knight)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.