As Weezy proved with A Milli, a grimy, lyrically-driven record that trades the traditional hook for odd vocal samples repeated ad infinitum can be an insanely catchy, chart-smashing hit. Judging by his second Booth feature, Pay$0z has taken this lesson to heart. Frame It finds the Brooklyn emcee spitting one uninterrupted, free-association verse brimming with borderline nonsensical but frequently hilarious punchlines (“If you say I’m not hot, you’re lyin’/ N*gga I’m on over-steam like two ions), and non sequitur pop culture references. On the production tip, The Hit Circle fills the cut with lurching percussion and distorted synths, as well as a repeated noise that I can only describe as the sound of an angry cat rolling across a Casio keyboard. The result (at least to my ears) is pretty damned catchy. Pay$0z’ debut LP, Against the Grain, doesn’t drop till April, but DJBooth readers can look forward to his contribution to our exclusive freestyle series later this month.
Listen to More: Jeff Chery Written by richard
Team Rsinal Inc.
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Black Starz" (2008)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Win an Exclusive Vinyl Version of De La Soul’s “Smell The Da.I.S.Y.” [CONTEST]
- DJ Drama x Don Cannon x Trendsetter Sense - The Boondocks Mixtape (Season 4)
- Mick Jenkins - Steam
- Top Hip Hop / R&B Music Chart (April 14, 2014)
- Future - Honest LP
- Nas - Illmatic XX
- Dizzy Wright - State of Mind EP
- Locksmith - A Thousand Cuts
- 25 Most Popular Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of March 2014
- The Best Hip Hop Songs & Albums of 2013!
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.