As Weezy proved with A Milli, a grimy, lyrically-driven record that trades the traditional hook for odd vocal samples repeated ad infinitum can be an insanely catchy, chart-smashing hit. Judging by his second Booth feature, Pay$0z has taken this lesson to heart. Frame It finds the Brooklyn emcee spitting one uninterrupted, free-association verse brimming with borderline nonsensical but frequently hilarious punchlines (“If you say I’m not hot, you’re lyin’/ N*gga I’m on over-steam like two ions), and non sequitur pop culture references. On the production tip, The Hit Circle fills the cut with lurching percussion and distorted synths, as well as a repeated noise that I can only describe as the sound of an angry cat rolling across a Casio keyboard. The result (at least to my ears) is pretty damned catchy. Pay$0z’ debut LP, Against the Grain, doesn’t drop till April, but DJBooth readers can look forward to his contribution to our exclusive freestyle series later this month.
Written by richard on 02/11/09
Submit your Rating
Team Rsinal Inc.
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Black Starz" (2008)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Freddie Gibbs x Madlib ft. Action Bronson, Joey BadA$$ & Ransom - Knicks (Remix)
- All 79 Things Chance the Rapper Hates on “No Better Blues”
- Lupe Fiasco ft. Sirah - Lilies
- ShayGray - No Sense of Accomplishment
- F*ck Norms: Why the Critics Are Wrong About Yung Lean
- Lorenzo Asher, The Director #TopProspects
- Jay Rock - Parental Advisory
- Run the Jewels ft. Zack De La Rocha - Close Your Eyes (And Count to F*ck)
- All 72 of Drakes Billboard Top 100 Songs
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.