For a short period in my childhood, I was absolutely positive that chemistry was my life’s calling—after all, what could be more fun than taking two volatile, potentially explosive substances and dumping them in a beaker together just to see what the heck happens? The realization that chemistry experiments were mostly a matter of meticulous, mind-numbingly repetitive titrations was quite the letdown, but surprising musical collaborations like this one always put me in that same spirit of youthful, maniacal curiosity. What do you get when you mix one part Pay$0z with one part K. Sparks? Something unique, to say the least; promo single Turn My Lights On finds the always-unpredictable Brooklyn up-and-comer and the lyrical mastermind behind the Manic Mondays series flowing over a reversed breakbeat by P Haze & Shinoshis, and though the headliner’s rhymes are as eccentrically sharp as ever, Sparks’ verse on the back end is the biggest surprise; his flow matches the flipped percussion perfectly. In any case, this decidedly unconventional yet polished cut should get listeners even more excited for Pay’s Booth-cosponsored Against the Grain LP, set to hit our front page this summer.
Written by richard on 05/27/09
Team Rsinal Inc.
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Black Starz" (2008)
You Might Like...
- Big K.R.I.T. ft. Juicy J, Rittz & A$AP Ferg - Drinkers Club
- Once Lost, a Lil Wayne Fan Finds His Faith in “Carter V”
- Rick Ross ft. Project Pat - Elvis Presley Blvd.
- Big Sean - Untitled EP
- Chris Brown ft. Trey Songz - Songs on 12 Play
- Dyme-A-Duzin - Hip Hope
- “I’m Real”: Five Questions With Raury
- Mick Jenkins - DJBooth RapBox Freestyle
- Kendrick Sued Over “Rigamortis”, Should He Pay Up? (A Sample Clearance Guide)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.