For a short period in my childhood, I was absolutely positive that chemistry was my life’s calling—after all, what could be more fun than taking two volatile, potentially explosive substances and dumping them in a beaker together just to see what the heck happens? The realization that chemistry experiments were mostly a matter of meticulous, mind-numbingly repetitive titrations was quite the letdown, but surprising musical collaborations like this one always put me in that same spirit of youthful, maniacal curiosity. What do you get when you mix one part Pay$0z with one part K. Sparks? Something unique, to say the least; promo single Turn My Lights On finds the always-unpredictable Brooklyn up-and-comer and the lyrical mastermind behind the Manic Mondays series flowing over a reversed breakbeat by P Haze & Shinoshis, and though the headliner’s rhymes are as eccentrically sharp as ever, Sparks’ verse on the back end is the biggest surprise; his flow matches the flipped percussion perfectly. In any case, this decidedly unconventional yet polished cut should get listeners even more excited for Pay’s Booth-cosponsored Against the Grain LP, set to hit our front page this summer.
Written by richard on 05/27/09
Submit your Rating
Team Rsinal Inc.
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Black Starz" (2008)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- 1 Listen Album Review: Big Sean’s “Dark Sky Paradise”
- Every Rapper is Going to Die & So Will I
- Rap Quiz: Bet You Can’t Guess The Album Cover Pt. 6
- An Anti-Elitist Guide to Respecting Gucci Mane
- Breaking Down the Sordid Details of the Lil Wayne vs. Cash Money Lawsuit
- Oh My God, If Drake Dies Is He A Legend?
- Fine, You Got Me: Your Favorite Rapper’s First Tweet
- 1 Listen Album Review: Drake’s “If You’re Reading This It’s Too Late”
- 2014 Best of the Booth Award Winners (The Complete List)
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.