Getting Jeff “Pay$0z” Chery and K. Sparks together on a DJBooth.net-exclusive record is such a surefire recipe for reader acclaim that it’s almost unfair. Of course, we don’t care that much about being fair—thus, we’re proud to present another world premiere from our favorite Brooklyn buzzmakers. For the Taken finds Pay and Sparks flowing over a militaristic, synth-brass instrumental by Shinosis (coproducer of the memorable reversed breakbeat that backed Turn My Lights On). The between-verse banter that takes the place of a traditional hook gives the cut a more casual feel than either of the emcees’ previous collabos, but both come with rhymes as hard-hitting as readers would expect—Pay packs his verses with the same brand of dry, allusive wit he brought to No Competition, and Sparks switches things up with some more aggressively-flowed bars on the back end. This high-powered cut won’t be appearing on Pay’s Going Against the Grain LP, but readers can look forward to one more world premiere in anticipation of the Booth-cosponsored project’s release!
Team Rsinal Inc.
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Black Starz" (2008)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Logic ft. Big Sean - Alright
- Top Remixes of the Month [April 2014]
- Asher Roth - Retrohash
- Iggy Azalea - The New Classic
- Joyner Lucas - Don’t Ask for Nothin
- Top Hip Hop / R&B Music Songs Chart (April 21, 2014)
- Behind The Boards Interview Series: Statik Selektah
- Future - Honest LP
- Win an Exclusive Vinyl Version of De La Soul’s “Smell The Da.I.S.Y.” [CONTEST]
- The Best Hip Hop Songs & Albums of 2013!
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.