Getting Jeff “Pay$0z” Chery and K. Sparks together on a DJBooth.net-exclusive record is such a surefire recipe for reader acclaim that it’s almost unfair. Of course, we don’t care that much about being fair—thus, we’re proud to present another world premiere from our favorite Brooklyn buzzmakers. For the Taken finds Pay and Sparks flowing over a militaristic, synth-brass instrumental by Shinosis (coproducer of the memorable reversed breakbeat that backed Turn My Lights On). The between-verse banter that takes the place of a traditional hook gives the cut a more casual feel than either of the emcees’ previous collabos, but both come with rhymes as hard-hitting as readers would expect—Pay packs his verses with the same brand of dry, allusive wit he brought to No Competition, and Sparks switches things up with some more aggressively-flowed bars on the back end. This high-powered cut won’t be appearing on Pay’s Going Against the Grain LP, but readers can look forward to one more world premiere in anticipation of the Booth-cosponsored project’s release!
Written by richard on 08/3/09
Team Rsinal Inc.
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Black Starz" (2008)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Drake vs. Lil Wayne - The Hits
- Run The Jewels - Blockbuster Night (Part 1)
- T.I. ft. Skylar Grey - New National Anthem
- Interview With a “White Rapper”: Rittz on Race, Respect & Hip-Hop
- Statik Selektah - What Goes Around
- Wiz Khalifa - Blacc Hollywood
- Kanye West is Right, the Media is the Fucking Worst
- The DJBooth Top Prospects EP (Vol. 1)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.