Getting Jeff “Pay$0z” Chery and K. Sparks together on a DJBooth.net-exclusive record is such a surefire recipe for reader acclaim that it’s almost unfair. Of course, we don’t care that much about being fair—thus, we’re proud to present another world premiere from our favorite Brooklyn buzzmakers. For the Taken finds Pay and Sparks flowing over a militaristic, synth-brass instrumental by Shinosis (coproducer of the memorable reversed breakbeat that backed Turn My Lights On). The between-verse banter that takes the place of a traditional hook gives the cut a more casual feel than either of the emcees’ previous collabos, but both come with rhymes as hard-hitting as readers would expect—Pay packs his verses with the same brand of dry, allusive wit he brought to No Competition, and Sparks switches things up with some more aggressively-flowed bars on the back end. This high-powered cut won’t be appearing on Pay’s Going Against the Grain LP, but readers can look forward to one more world premiere in anticipation of the Booth-cosponsored project’s release!
Team Rsinal Inc.
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Black Starz" (2008)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- DJ Drama x Don Cannon x Trendsetter Sense - The Boondocks Mixtape (Season 4)
- Mick Jenkins - Steam
- Top Hip Hop / R&B Music Chart (April 14, 2014)
- Future - Honest LP
- Nas - Illmatic XX
- Dizzy Wright - State of Mind EP
- Locksmith - A Thousand Cuts
- 25 Most Popular Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of March 2014
- Behind The Boards Interview Series: !llmind
- The Best Hip Hop Songs & Albums of 2013!
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.