Getting Jeff “Pay$0z” Chery and K. Sparks together on a DJBooth.net-exclusive record is such a surefire recipe for reader acclaim that it’s almost unfair. Of course, we don’t care that much about being fair—thus, we’re proud to present another world premiere from our favorite Brooklyn buzzmakers. For the Taken finds Pay and Sparks flowing over a militaristic, synth-brass instrumental by Shinosis (coproducer of the memorable reversed breakbeat that backed Turn My Lights On). The between-verse banter that takes the place of a traditional hook gives the cut a more casual feel than either of the emcees’ previous collabos, but both come with rhymes as hard-hitting as readers would expect—Pay packs his verses with the same brand of dry, allusive wit he brought to No Competition, and Sparks switches things up with some more aggressively-flowed bars on the back end. This high-powered cut won’t be appearing on Pay’s Going Against the Grain LP, but readers can look forward to one more world premiere in anticipation of the Booth-cosponsored project’s release!
Written by richard on 08/3/09
Team Rsinal Inc.
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Black Starz" (2008)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- After Wiz Khalifa’s “Blacc Hollywood”, What Does a Number One Album Mean?
- Jeezy - Seen It All: The Autobiography
- Cam’ron - 1st of the Month Vol. 3 EP
- Best/Worst of the Week: Andre 3000 All Day, Queen Bey Reigns & More
- Draft Day: What Label Should Your Favorite Rapper Sign To?
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (August 2014)
- “Views from All Day”: Drake, Kanye & The State of Hip-Hop Leaks
- Drake vs. Lil Wayne - The Hits
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)