As you might guess from the duo’s collective stage name, Paul Not Paul are all about contradictions: their mission statement as laid out in their MySpace bio is “[to push] hip-hop forward by taking it back where it started,” and, though both rapper Paul Lewis and Monsters Ink. beatsmith Jon Numonics hail from Florida, their style incorporates Northeastern as well as Southern influences. What’s paradoxical on paper (or on a computer screen), however, makes perfect sense pumping through a pair of headphones. This remixed promo single finds Lewis showcasing his Witty Unpredictable rhymes over M-Phazes’ retro-informed blend of strings, piano, and chopped Chipmunk vocal samples. This revamp is mellower than Numonics’ brassy original but equally ear-pleasing, and Lewis’ alliterative, uniquely-flowed braggadocio is sure to get lyrical heads nodding along. This track has yet to be attached to any forthcoming project, but fans should watch for Paul Not Paul to drop a new EP off Diamond Music Group and Numonics’ own Pyramid Builders imprint in the near future.
Written by richard on 08/24/09
Submit your Rating
Diamond Music Group/Pyramid Builders
This is the first song featured on DJBooth from this artist. If you would like to hear more, be sure to rate and comment!
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- DeJ Loaf - Sell Sole
- Heat Check: How Do You Feel About Drake’s “How About Now”
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (10/17)
- Freddie Gibbs x Madlib ft. Action Bronson, Joey BadA$$ & Ransom - Knicks (Remix)
- All 79 Things Chance the Rapper Hates on “No Better Blues”
- Lupe Fiasco ft. Sirah - Lilies
- ShayGray - No Sense of Accomplishment
- F*ck Norms: Why the Critics Are Wrong About Yung Lean
- All 72 of Drakes Billboard Top 100 Songs
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.