As you might guess from the duo’s collective stage name, Paul Not Paul are all about contradictions: their mission statement as laid out in their MySpace bio is “[to push] hip-hop forward by taking it back where it started,” and, though both rapper Paul Lewis and Monsters Ink. beatsmith Jon Numonics hail from Florida, their style incorporates Northeastern as well as Southern influences. What’s paradoxical on paper (or on a computer screen), however, makes perfect sense pumping through a pair of headphones. This remixed promo single finds Lewis showcasing his Witty Unpredictable rhymes over M-Phazes’ retro-informed blend of strings, piano, and chopped Chipmunk vocal samples. This revamp is mellower than Numonics’ brassy original but equally ear-pleasing, and Lewis’ alliterative, uniquely-flowed braggadocio is sure to get lyrical heads nodding along. This track has yet to be attached to any forthcoming project, but fans should watch for Paul Not Paul to drop a new EP off Diamond Music Group and Numonics’ own Pyramid Builders imprint in the near future.
Written by richard on 08/24/09
Submit your Rating
Diamond Music Group/Pyramid Builders
This is the first song featured on DJBooth from this artist. If you would like to hear more, be sure to rate and comment!
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- No Money, No Family: Iggy Azalea’s Insane Coming to America Story
- A Very Serious Lyrical Analysis of Lil Wayne’s “Sorry 4 The Wait 2”
- Rap Lines That Make No Fucking Sense: The Comeback
- 1 Listen Album Review: Lupe Fiasco’s “Tetsuo & Youth” (Lupe Back)
- Inside the Conspiracy Theory World of Childish Gambino’s Music Videos
- KIDD - Whipped Cream
- 2014 Best of the Booth Award Winners (The Complete List)
- Who Was the Worst Rapper of 2014?
- The Hip-Hop Albums I Need to Hear in 2015
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.