You know that growing sense of excitement you get when you flip on a record by an artist you’ve never heard before, and you think “Hey, this is pretty good… in fact, it’s really good.”? Well, I have an inkling that quite a few readers will have That Feeling while listening to this new joint, the first Booth feature from Miami, Florida up-and-comer Parable. Here, an infectiously upbeat soul instrument by Sharpsound (sampled from family soul group The Sylvers’ That’s What Love Is Made Of) sets the mood for a lyrical trip down Memory Lane. In breathlessly-flowed bars, the emcee describes the genesis of his own love affair with hip-hop, recounting his growth from a youngster scribbling rhymes in his bedroom to the lyrical equivalent of a Jedi Master. Every Parable comes with a message – so, what moral should we take away from this story? Um… don’t sleep on a good emcee? Sure, that works. And be sure to download a copy of the artist’s deliciously-named Mashed Potatoes mixtape, a collaboration with local trio Llamabeats, when it drops in October.
Written by richard on 08/17/10
Submit your Rating
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- 2014, The Year I Learned to Say Fuck the Police
- Billion Dollars in an Elevator: The Definitive 2014 Hip-Hop Timeline
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- All 93 People Named on J. Cole’s “Note To Self” Outro
- Indie Savage: Crooked I Gets Physical With “Sex, Money & Hip-Hop”
- The Hip-Hop Albums I Need to Hear in 2015
- Meet Fanesha Fabre, the Voice Behind the “La Musica De Harry Fraud” Drop
- 1 Listen Album Review: J. Cole’s “2014 Forest Hills Drive” (aka F*cking Up Hip-Hop)
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.