You know that growing sense of excitement you get when you flip on a record by an artist you’ve never heard before, and you think “Hey, this is pretty good… in fact, it’s really good.”? Well, I have an inkling that quite a few readers will have That Feeling while listening to this new joint, the first Booth feature from Miami, Florida up-and-comer Parable. Here, an infectiously upbeat soul instrument by Sharpsound (sampled from family soul group The Sylvers’ That’s What Love Is Made Of) sets the mood for a lyrical trip down Memory Lane. In breathlessly-flowed bars, the emcee describes the genesis of his own love affair with hip-hop, recounting his growth from a youngster scribbling rhymes in his bedroom to the lyrical equivalent of a Jedi Master. Every Parable comes with a message – so, what moral should we take away from this story? Um… don’t sleep on a good emcee? Sure, that works. And be sure to download a copy of the artist’s deliciously-named Mashed Potatoes mixtape, a collaboration with local trio Llamabeats, when it drops in October.
Written by richard on 08/17/10
Member Reviews and Ratings
- After Wiz Khalifa’s “Blacc Hollywood”, What Does a Number One Album Mean?
- Jeezy - Seen It All: The Autobiography
- Cam’ron - 1st of the Month Vol. 3 EP
- Best/Worst of the Week: Andre 3000 All Day, Queen Bey Reigns & More
- Draft Day: What Label Should Your Favorite Rapper Sign To?
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (August 2014)
- “Views from All Day”: Drake, Kanye & The State of Hip-Hop Leaks
- Drake vs. Lil Wayne - The Hits
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)