Usually, beginning with the sequel is a recipe for confusion – i.e., “Who is this Frodo guy and why is he going to all this trouble to drop a stupid ring into a volcano?” In the case of I Rise (Part 2), the latest single (and Booth debut) from Papi Jamon, first-time listeners don’t have to worry about getting lost: all you need to know is, the Chi-town native is on the come-up, and he’s determined to make it to the top of the game. Phew – so much for exposition. Backed by the bombastically brassy, retro-informed production stylings of Maja 7th, this finds Jamon chronicling his continuing efforts to get his foot in the door. In between touting his mic skills, dropping pop-culture allusions and taking aim at sucker emcees, Papi offers a little insight into his his quest for personal and artistic maturity. Constantly striving to elevate his game, this up-and-comer showcases a singlemindedness that’ll take him far in the industry. Like what you’re hearing? Fans can hear plenty more from this rising star on his Samoa Joe LP, released Tuesday and available now online.
Written by richard on 10/13/10
Submit your Rating
So City/Bettye Lee Music LLC
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Phony Rappers" (2012)
Total DJ Booth Features:
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Jennifer Lopez ft. Iggy Azalea - Booty (Remix)
- Lupe Fiasco ft. Billy Blue - Pu$$y
- Lil Dicky - Lemme Freak
- Yelawolf - Till It’s Gone
- Big K.R.I.T. ft. Juicy J, Rittz & A$AP Ferg - Drinkers Club
- Once Lost, a Lil Wayne Fan Finds His Faith in “Carter V”
- Rick Ross ft. Project Pat - Elvis Presley Blvd.
- Big Sean - Untitled EP
- Kendrick Sued Over “Rigamortis”, Should He Pay Up? (A Sample Clearance Guide)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.