Set against the backdrop of the 1992 L.A. riots, 2007 drama Freedom Writers follows an English teacher played by Hilary Swank as she forges a relationship with a class of at-risk students. On Palermo Stone’ debut feature, premiering in The DJBooth along with its official visuals, the Pittsburgh repper uses the film as a springboard for his own lyrical reflections on music, the struggle, and the power of young people to change the world. Joining the headliner over Jazz Logic‘s mellow boardwork, middle school educator-turned-emcee Dee-1 recounts an inspiring encounter with an adolescent fan on verse two. Like what you’re hearing? More inspiring jams await on the deluxe edition of Stone’s R.A.R.E. [Revitalizing Art; Reinventing Emotion] LP, released in March and available now for purchase via Bandcamp.
Written by richard on 05/1/13
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Milk & Honey" (2014)
Total DJ Booth Features:
Member Reviews and Ratings
- After Wiz Khalifa’s “Blacc Hollywood”, What Does a Number One Album Mean?
- Jeezy - Seen It All: The Autobiography
- Cam’ron - 1st of the Month Vol. 3 EP
- Best/Worst of the Week: Andre 3000 All Day, Queen Bey Reigns & More
- Draft Day: What Label Should Your Favorite Rapper Sign To?
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (August 2014)
- “Views from All Day”: Drake, Kanye & The State of Hip-Hop Leaks
- Drake vs. Lil Wayne - The Hits
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)