Set against the backdrop of the 1992 L.A. riots, 2007 drama Freedom Writers follows an English teacher played by Hilary Swank as she forges a relationship with a class of at-risk students. On Palermo Stone’ debut feature, premiering in The DJBooth along with its official visuals, the Pittsburgh repper uses the film as a springboard for his own lyrical reflections on music, the struggle, and the power of young people to change the world. Joining the headliner over Jazz Logic‘s mellow boardwork, middle school educator-turned-emcee Dee-1 recounts an inspiring encounter with an adolescent fan on verse two. Like what you’re hearing? More inspiring jams await on the deluxe edition of Stone’s R.A.R.E. [Revitalizing Art; Reinventing Emotion] LP, released in March and available now for purchase via Bandcamp.
This is the first song featured on DJBooth from this artist. If you would like to hear more, be sure to rate and comment!
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Win an Exclusive Vinyl Version of De La Soul’s “Smell The Da.I.S.Y.” [CONTEST]
- DJ Drama x Don Cannon x Trendsetter Sense - The Boondocks Mixtape (Season 4)
- Mick Jenkins - Steam
- Top Hip Hop / R&B Music Chart (April 14, 2014)
- Future - Honest LP
- Nas - Illmatic XX
- Dizzy Wright - State of Mind EP
- Locksmith - A Thousand Cuts
- 25 Most Popular Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of March 2014
- The Best Hip Hop Songs & Albums of 2013!
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.