Back in February of ‘08, Pacific Division received mixed reviews for their first Booth feature—though Fat Boys’ unconventional subject matter and sparse beat appealed to quite a few underground heads, some simply didn’t know what to make of them. Now, after more than a year, Like, Mibbs, and BeYoung are back, and, if this track is any indication, they’ve taken their uniquely stark style to the next level. Requesting listeners kindly Shut Up and focus on the music, the trio come with rhymes worthy of your undivided attention (“Knucklehead n*ggas with the bass in the trunk/ ‘bout to bubble like peroxide layin’ in a cut” may be the dopest lyric I’ve heard all day) over an odd but compelling instrumental; booming percussion paired with a sound that brings to mind wind rushing through an empty chasm make up the bulk of Swiff D‘s sparse, spacious production. Shut Up can be found on the trio’s PAC DIV EP, available now.
Written by richard on 03/25/09
Submit your Rating
The Div/RBC Records
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"FAT Boys" (2008)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Kid Cudi Thinks Hip-Hop Is Endangered - He’s Wrong
- Tayyib Ali - Keystone State of Mind III
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (11/21)
- Best/Worst of the Week: Wale & Seinfeld, Kendrick on “SNL” & More
- Isaiah Rashad’s “Cilvia Demo” vs. Mick Jenkins’ “The Water[s]”
- What Rappers Would You Pick for “New York vs. Everybody”?
- Estonian Trap Rapper Tommy Cash is Going to Take Over the Internet
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.