Back in February of ‘08, Pacific Division received mixed reviews for their first Booth feature—though Fat Boys’ unconventional subject matter and sparse beat appealed to quite a few underground heads, some simply didn’t know what to make of them. Now, after more than a year, Like, Mibbs, and BeYoung are back, and, if this track is any indication, they’ve taken their uniquely stark style to the next level. Requesting listeners kindly Shut Up and focus on the music, the trio come with rhymes worthy of your undivided attention (“Knucklehead n*ggas with the bass in the trunk/ ‘bout to bubble like peroxide layin’ in a cut” may be the dopest lyric I’ve heard all day) over an odd but compelling instrumental; booming percussion paired with a sound that brings to mind wind rushing through an empty chasm make up the bulk of Swiff D‘s sparse, spacious production. Shut Up can be found on the trio’s PAC DIV EP, available now.
Written by richard on 03/25/09
Submit your Rating
The Div/RBC Records
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"FAT Boys" (2008)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Epic Fail: Bobby Shmurda’s Label Cashed In & Then Bailed Out
- Open Mic: Why Rappers Need to Play Small Shows
- 1 Listen Album Review: Big Sean’s “Dark Sky Paradise”
- Could Kanye’s Rapper Reparations Idea Actually Work?
- Every Rapper is Going to Die & So Will I
- An Anti-Elitist Guide to Respecting Gucci Mane
- Breaking Down the Sordid Details of the Lil Wayne vs. Cash Money Lawsuit
- Oh My God, If Drake Dies Is He A Legend?
- Fine, You Got Me: Your Favorite Rapper’s First Tweet
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.