When I saw Fashawn was part of the latest effort from P-Money, the title had me thinking the song was either a smokers’ anthem or featured a more traditional vibe, as Fash likes to Break It Down both onstage and when it comes to weed. Well, as it turns out, the record is a little of both. P’s production has a definite old-school, swinging vibe thanks to a small horn section and quick, subtle drumming. Fash and fellow guest emcee Freddie Gibbs Break It Down on the mic, showcasing two very different styles that will appeal to those who favor crisp, traditional bars over more stoner-friendly rhymes. While Gibbs has a deep, slurring delivery, Fashawn employs a higher-pitched, more pronounced flow. This effort can be found on the New Zealand DJ/producer’s forthcoming album, Gratitude, which is scheduled to drop late next month.
Dawn Raid Ent/Dirty Records/Duck Down Music
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Welcome to America" (2013)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Asher Roth - Retrohash
- Iggy Azalea - The New Classic
- Joyner Lucas - Don’t Ask for Nothin
- Top Hip Hop / R&B Music Songs Chart (April 21, 2014)
- Behind The Boards Interview Series: Statik Selektah
- Smoke Weed Everyday: A 30 Song 4/20 Playlist
- Future - Honest LP
- Win an Exclusive Vinyl Version of De La Soul’s “Smell The Da.I.S.Y.” [CONTEST]
- 25 Most Popular Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of March 2014
- The Best Hip Hop Songs & Albums of 2013!
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.