Retro-folk-rock-rap pioneer Outasight and the relentlessly gangster Freddie Gibbs may at first seem like an odd pairing, but if Ron Artest and Kobe Bryant can become Champions, it shouldn’t be that surprising that the NYC singer and Gary, Indiana rapper have combined forces on Outasight’s new track Near the End, the second leak off his upcoming Never Say Never mixtape (the first was Dizzy). Near the End is exactly the kind of difficult to describe track we’ve come to expect from DJBooth Freestyle alum Outasight, as the man lays down some Dylan-influenced vocals and Jack Kerouac references over Table for 6’s clapping, shaking, bass-walking, classic rock influenced production. Predictably Gibbs doesn’t change a thing, dropping yet another street-level verse that helps The End stay grounded, although I’m still frankly not sure it truly works. So how about it Booth nation? Do these two fast-risers go together like peanut butter and chocolate, or peanut butter and mayonnaise? Those who think this is a musical Reese Cup won’t have to wait forever to hear Never Say Never; the mixtape’s sent to drop later this month.
Written by Nathan S. on 07/5/10
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Another Late Night" (2008)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- 5 More Fresh Songs You Might Have Missed
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (September 2014)
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (9/26)
- Kings Dead - Don’t Need Much
- Nova Rockafeller ft. Michael Christmas - Problem
- Stalley ft. Rick Ross - Everything A Dope Boy Ever Wanted
- Saigon - GSNT3: The Troubled Times of Brian Carenard
- How to Get Your Music Posted Online: The Email Edition
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.