Like a Mobius strip, Space Invaders, or the wait for Detox (I kid - I hope), the grind of a recording artist is never finished: as soon as you reach the plateau you’ve striven towards for so long, a new peak, and a new set of challenges, comes into view. On his latest single and EP title track, NYC native and Booth mainstay Outasight expresses his frustration with the endless Figure 8 that is his grind. Though the record finds the artist slightly dispirited, fans of his usual upbeat style won’t be disappointed – Matt Max keeps it breezy and exuberant behind the boards, layering sprightly piano chords and buzzing synth lines over driving percussion as the freestyle series alumnus details the ups and downs of the hustle in his trademark melodic flow. In the end, he resolves to enjoy the journey regardless of the destination, asking why we “search our whole lives up and down for what can’t be found, instead of appreciating what we have around.” Find yourself banging this single on repeat? More left-of-center hip-hop/pop goodness awaits on Figure-8 (the EP), due out April 26.
Written by richard on 04/10/11
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Another Late Night" (2008)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Kev Decor - Swamp Ass
- “Views from All Day”: Drake, Kanye & The State of Hip-Hop Leaks
- Jeezy - Seen It All: The Autobiography
- Ty Dolla $ign - $ign Language
- Eminem ft. Sia - Guts Over Fear
- Best/Worst of the Week: My Anaconda Don’t Want None, French Mondashian & More
- Drake vs. Lil Wayne - The Hits
- The DJBooth Top Prospects EP (Vol. 1)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.