Outasight may have turned over a new leaf and sworn off stress on his last feature, Brand New Day, but big-city alienation is still his lyrical bread and butter. On this newly-released single, the Big Apple native takes a trip “Downtown in My Mind,” searching for answers to life’s complexities but finding only more questions. Backed by D/Will‘s jazzy string/guitar/windchime beat, the artist lets his distinctive, reedy yet soulful singing voice take center stage. Those who prefer Outasight the rhymesayer to Outasight the singer shouldn’t flip this track off early, though; for the third verse, the artist switches gears to deliver flowed bars as impressive as any we’ve heard from him to date, speaking on his creative vision and waxing nostalgic about, “sipping merlot In Little Italy.” Though Outasight seems uncertain where his metropolitan wanderings will ultimately lead him, listeners who consider the journey just as important as the destination will find plenty to ponder on Brand New Sessions, out on the 28th.
Written by richard on 09/3/09
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Another Late Night" (2008)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- 1 Listen Album Review: Big Sean’s “Dark Sky Paradise”
- Could Kanye’s Rapper Reparations Idea Actually Work?
- Every Rapper is Going to Die & So Will I
- Rap Quiz: Bet You Can’t Guess The Album Cover Pt. 6
- An Anti-Elitist Guide to Respecting Gucci Mane
- Breaking Down the Sordid Details of the Lil Wayne vs. Cash Money Lawsuit
- Oh My God, If Drake Dies Is He A Legend?
- Fine, You Got Me: Your Favorite Rapper’s First Tweet
- 2014 Best of the Booth Award Winners (The Complete List)
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.