With Outasight‘s tendency to spit chilled-out rhymes over jazzy beats, not to mention his noirish, rumpled-suit aesthetic, I’d had him pegged as a fellow black coffee drinker, so it came as a little bit of a surprise that his latest Booth feature, Destination Somewhere, found him lending his musical talents to an Amp Energy online ad campaign. The NYC native may not be an obvious choice for the job, but, rather than switching up his style for the adrenaline-junkie demographic, he revels in being out-of-place—in fact, that’s what the record’s about. Harnessing his mellow, melodic flow to the topic of alienation, Outasight delivers up that distinctive, too-cool-to-be-cool brand of swag his fans know and love. Most of the amped-up feel comes courtesy of Cook Classics’ midtempo beat, which backs a dark electric guitar groove with propulsive, clattering cymbals. In the end, I’m not sure if Destination Somewhere will get the emcee’s devotees hooked on Amp, but it’ll doubtless convert plenty of overcaffeinated music-lovers into Outasight fans. If you fall into either of these categories, watch for his sophomore LP, From Here To Eternity, to drop sometime this year.
Listen to More: Outasight
Written by richard on 04/22/09
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Another Late Night" (2008)
You Might Like...
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Cam’ron - 1st of the Month Vol. 3 EP
- Best/Worst of the Week: Andre 3000 All Day, Queen Bey Reigns & More
- Draft Day: What Label Should Your Favorite Rapper Sign To?
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (August 2014)
- Kev Decor - Swamp Ass
- “Views from All Day”: Drake, Kanye & The State of Hip-Hop Leaks
- Jeezy - Seen It All: The Autobiography
- Drake vs. Lil Wayne - The Hits
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)