With Outasight‘s tendency to spit chilled-out rhymes over jazzy beats, not to mention his noirish, rumpled-suit aesthetic, I’d had him pegged as a fellow black coffee drinker, so it came as a little bit of a surprise that his latest Booth feature, Destination Somewhere, found him lending his musical talents to an Amp Energy online ad campaign. The NYC native may not be an obvious choice for the job, but, rather than switching up his style for the adrenaline-junkie demographic, he revels in being out-of-place—in fact, that’s what the record’s about. Harnessing his mellow, melodic flow to the topic of alienation, Outasight delivers up that distinctive, too-cool-to-be-cool brand of swag his fans know and love. Most of the amped-up feel comes courtesy of Cook Classics’ midtempo beat, which backs a dark electric guitar groove with propulsive, clattering cymbals. In the end, I’m not sure if Destination Somewhere will get the emcee’s devotees hooked on Amp, but it’ll doubtless convert plenty of overcaffeinated music-lovers into Outasight fans. If you fall into either of these categories, watch for his sophomore LP, From Here To Eternity, to drop sometime this year.
Written by richard on 04/22/09
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Another Late Night" (2008)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Lil Wayne ft. The LOX - Gotti
- 4 Fresh Songs (& An Album) You Might Have Missed (10/27)
- Jay Rock ft. Kendrick Lamar & Chantal - Pay For It
- Nicki Minaj ft. Drake, Lil Wayne & Chris Brown - Only
- Drake - 6 God EP
- Run the Jewels - RTJ2
- T.I. - Paperwork: The Motion Picture
- Shady XV: Eminem is Dropping a New Album & I Don’t Care
- All 72 of Drakes Billboard Top 100 Songs
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.