If I were to sit down and write a letter to the coldest season of the year, it would be exactly one line long: “Good riddance.” Fortunately for all of us, Walk Away emcee Orie gets a little more creative than that on Dear Winter, a mixtape track that isn’t so much about chilly weather as it is about the difficulty of staying on your grind when the going gets tough. Alex Goose‘s nostalgia-drenched soul samples forecast sunny skies ahead as the rapper ponders whether to spend his last $40 on food, studio time or paying off his student loans. In spite of the hardships he describes here, Orie ends the cut on a positive note, expressing his faith that his efforts will soon be rewarded: “I can stomach this, and I can stand the rain, ‘cause it won’t be much longer that I feel the pain.” Like what you’re hearing? This reflective track and much more can be found on YNotMyDream Presents “1” , released 4/19 and out now online. Also, fans lucky enough to be in Chicago can catch the artist playing the Metro this Wednesday, April 28.
Written by richard on 04/27/10
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Walk Away" (2010)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- What If Drake Didn’t Sign To Young Money?
- The Liberation of Lupe Fiasco on “Tetsuo & Youth”
- No Money, No Family: Iggy Azalea’s Insane Coming to America Story
- A Very Serious Lyrical Analysis of Lil Wayne’s “Sorry 4 The Wait 2”
- Rap Lines That Make No Fucking Sense: The Comeback
- Saba, The Native Son #TopProspects
- Inside the Conspiracy Theory World of Childish Gambino’s Music Videos
- 2014 Best of the Booth Award Winners (The Complete List)
- Who Was the Worst Rapper of 2014?
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.