Orie‘s last feature, Dear Winter, hit the Booth just when it was starting to feel like spring in my city of residence. Sh*t, where did all that time go? Roughly six months later, with the first slushy snowfall of winter 2010 blanketing Minne-ap, the St. Louis native’s back on our front page with the exclusive world premiere of his official debut single, Battlefield. Orie and Steve Anderson man the boards on this understated cut, pairing jittery, stop-start percussion with sizzling synth tones. The headliner matches his beat’s quiet intensity with some equally driven rhymes, harking back to the childhood struggles that inspired his musical hustle before taking aim at the rap game’s obsession with materialistic excess. The moral of this story? Simple: “Success is what you make it, but money can’t define it.” Topped off with the atmospheric hook vocals of St. Louis crooner Derrick Christian this sage single should be just the thing to get listeners hyped for the emcee’s latest full-length, Twenty-20, scheduled to drop sometime next year via D.E.M.O.
Written by richard on 11/14/10
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Walk Away" (2010)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Reggie Bonds - Stream of Consciousness Pt. 1
- Eminem Vs. DJ Whoo Kid - Shady Classics
- Kid Cudi Thinks Hip-Hop Is Endangered - He’s Wrong
- Tayyib Ali - Keystone State of Mind III
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (11/21)
- What Rappers Would You Pick for “New York vs. Everybody”?
- Estonian Trap Rapper Tommy Cash is Going to Take Over the Internet
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.