Orie‘s last feature, Dear Winter, hit the Booth just when it was starting to feel like spring in my city of residence. Sh*t, where did all that time go? Roughly six months later, with the first slushy snowfall of winter 2010 blanketing Minne-ap, the St. Louis native’s back on our front page with the exclusive world premiere of his official debut single, Battlefield. Orie and Steve Anderson man the boards on this understated cut, pairing jittery, stop-start percussion with sizzling synth tones. The headliner matches his beat’s quiet intensity with some equally driven rhymes, harking back to the childhood struggles that inspired his musical hustle before taking aim at the rap game’s obsession with materialistic excess. The moral of this story? Simple: “Success is what you make it, but money can’t define it.” Topped off with the atmospheric hook vocals of St. Louis crooner Derrick Christian this sage single should be just the thing to get listeners hyped for the emcee’s latest full-length, Twenty-20, scheduled to drop sometime next year via D.E.M.O.
Written by richard on 11/14/10
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Walk Away" (2010)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Drake vs. Lil Wayne - The Hits
- Run The Jewels - Blockbuster Night (Part 1)
- T.I. ft. Skylar Grey - New National Anthem
- Interview With a “White Rapper”: Rittz on Race, Respect & Hip-Hop
- Statik Selektah - What Goes Around
- Wiz Khalifa - Blacc Hollywood
- Kanye West is Right, the Media is the Fucking Worst
- The DJBooth Top Prospects EP (Vol. 1)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.