Depending on whether you’re following the meteorological or astronomical definition of seasons, we’re either six or 26 days late featuring Openmic‘s First Day of Summer. But look on the bright side: you still have two months and 27 days (astronomically speaking) to bang the Nashville-based Booth newcomer’s latest effort from your car speakers and/or boom boxes. On top of it, this joint’s overarching mood is more timeless than timely, with Melvin Thomas flipping a sample from Aretha Franklin’s classic rendition of Bridge Over Troubled Water as the headliner daydreams about the good things waiting around the next bend in the road—from the musical success he’s long dreamed of, to the fly chick who’ll rule by his side. Adding to the classic vibe, the emcee elaborates on his fantasies of fame, fortune and romance through a vivid collage of pop-culture allusions: “I’m the four-finger rings on Radio Raheem and I’m climbin’ to the top, call me King Kong, love or hate it.” Does this sun-drenched banger leave you craving more? Keep it locked—though this is a stand-alone release, I have a feeling we’ll be hearing more from this talented up-and-comer in the near future.
Written by richard on 06/27/11
Submit your Rating
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- All 79 Things Chance the Rapper Hates on “No Better Blues”
- Lupe Fiasco ft. Sirah - Lilies
- ShayGray - No Sense of Accomplishment
- F*ck Norms: Why the Critics Are Wrong About Yung Lean
- Young Thug ft. Lil Wayne - Take Kare
- Jay Rock - Parental Advisory
- Run the Jewels ft. Zack De La Rocha - Close Your Eyes (And Count to F*ck)
- All 72 of Drakes Billboard Top 100 Songs
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.