Depending on whether you’re following the meteorological or astronomical definition of seasons, we’re either six or 26 days late featuring Openmic‘s First Day of Summer. But look on the bright side: you still have two months and 27 days (astronomically speaking) to bang the Nashville-based Booth newcomer’s latest effort from your car speakers and/or boom boxes. On top of it, this joint’s overarching mood is more timeless than timely, with Melvin Thomas flipping a sample from Aretha Franklin’s classic rendition of Bridge Over Troubled Water as the headliner daydreams about the good things waiting around the next bend in the road—from the musical success he’s long dreamed of, to the fly chick who’ll rule by his side. Adding to the classic vibe, the emcee elaborates on his fantasies of fame, fortune and romance through a vivid collage of pop-culture allusions: “I’m the four-finger rings on Radio Raheem and I’m climbin’ to the top, call me King Kong, love or hate it.” Does this sun-drenched banger leave you craving more? Keep it locked—though this is a stand-alone release, I have a feeling we’ll be hearing more from this talented up-and-comer in the near future.
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Logic ft. Big Sean - Alright
- Top Remixes of the Month [April 2014]
- Asher Roth - Retrohash
- Iggy Azalea - The New Classic
- Joyner Lucas - Don’t Ask for Nothin
- Top Hip Hop / R&B Music Songs Chart (April 21, 2014)
- Behind The Boards Interview Series: Statik Selektah
- Future - Honest LP
- Win an Exclusive Vinyl Version of De La Soul’s “Smell The Da.I.S.Y.” [CONTEST]
- The Best Hip Hop Songs & Albums of 2013!
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.