Depending on whether you’re following the meteorological or astronomical definition of seasons, we’re either six or 26 days late featuring Openmic‘s First Day of Summer. But look on the bright side: you still have two months and 27 days (astronomically speaking) to bang the Nashville-based Booth newcomer’s latest effort from your car speakers and/or boom boxes. On top of it, this joint’s overarching mood is more timeless than timely, with Melvin Thomas flipping a sample from Aretha Franklin’s classic rendition of Bridge Over Troubled Water as the headliner daydreams about the good things waiting around the next bend in the road—from the musical success he’s long dreamed of, to the fly chick who’ll rule by his side. Adding to the classic vibe, the emcee elaborates on his fantasies of fame, fortune and romance through a vivid collage of pop-culture allusions: “I’m the four-finger rings on Radio Raheem and I’m climbin’ to the top, call me King Kong, love or hate it.” Does this sun-drenched banger leave you craving more? Keep it locked—though this is a stand-alone release, I have a feeling we’ll be hearing more from this talented up-and-comer in the near future.
Written by richard on 06/27/11
Submit your Rating
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Lupe Fiasco ft. Billy Blue - Pu$$y
- Red Cup Nation ft. Tommy Parker - Girls
- Lil Dicky - Lemme Freak
- Yelawolf - Till It’s Gone
- Big K.R.I.T. ft. Juicy J, Rittz & A$AP Ferg - Drinkers Club
- Once Lost, a Lil Wayne Fan Finds His Faith in “Carter V”
- Rick Ross ft. Project Pat - Elvis Presley Blvd.
- Big Sean - Untitled EP
- Kendrick Sued Over “Rigamortis”, Should He Pay Up? (A Sample Clearance Guide)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.