The title Broke Ass Holiday had me expecting a recession-themed jam about selling plasma and mugging Salvation Army bell-ringers to buy gifts for your family but, as great as that hypothetical record (and video) would be, One Block Radius’ latest feature is a little bit deeper than that. This new single from Marty James, MDA and Z-Man (leaked to the ‘net in late October, but presented here in its finished form) is all about being grateful for what you’ve got – even when what you’ve got isn’t a hell of a lot. Backed by James and Kristo‘s laid-back, synth-driven production, the newly-independent group celebrate the fact that they’re alive, healthy and not homeless. As Z-Man puts it: “It could be worse/ I could be layin’ under the dirt.” It’s catchy as all get-out and, needless to say, the positive theme should be a hit among our readers. The forthcoming project this track will be featured on has yet to receive a title or release date, but those who like what they’re hearing can peep the official, Secret History-directed video here.
Written by richard on 12/2/09
Submit your Rating
Property Music Group
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"You Got Me" (2008)
Total DJ Booth Features:
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- 2014, The Year I Learned to Say Fuck the Police
- Billion Dollars in an Elevator: The Definitive 2014 Hip-Hop Timeline
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- All 93 People Named on J. Cole’s “Note To Self” Outro
- Indie Savage: Crooked I Gets Physical With “Sex, Money & Hip-Hop”
- The Hip-Hop Albums I Need to Hear in 2015
- Meet Fanesha Fabre, the Voice Behind the “La Musica De Harry Fraud” Drop
- 1 Listen Album Review: J. Cole’s “2014 Forest Hills Drive” (aka F*cking Up Hip-Hop)
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.