The title Broke Ass Holiday had me expecting a recession-themed jam about selling plasma and mugging Salvation Army bell-ringers to buy gifts for your family but, as great as that hypothetical record (and video) would be, One Block Radius’ latest feature is a little bit deeper than that. This new single from Marty James, MDA and Z-Man (leaked to the ‘net in late October, but presented here in its finished form) is all about being grateful for what you’ve got – even when what you’ve got isn’t a hell of a lot. Backed by James and Kristo‘s laid-back, synth-driven production, the newly-independent group celebrate the fact that they’re alive, healthy and not homeless. As Z-Man puts it: “It could be worse/ I could be layin’ under the dirt.” It’s catchy as all get-out and, needless to say, the positive theme should be a hit among our readers. The forthcoming project this track will be featured on has yet to receive a title or release date, but those who like what they’re hearing can peep the official, Secret History-directed video here.
Written by richard on 12/2/09
Submit your Rating
Property Music Group
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"You Got Me" (2008)
Total DJ Booth Features:
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Fast Food Music: How Our Hunger for More is Killing Hip-Hop
- Rihanna & Kanye’s “FourFiveSeconds” is a Blue Collar Anthem
- What If Drake Didn’t Sign To Young Money?
- Digging Up Your Favorite Rapper’s Hidden Internet Gems
- The Liberation of Lupe Fiasco on “Tetsuo & Youth”
- No Money, No Family: Iggy Azalea’s Insane Coming to America Story
- A Very Serious Lyrical Analysis of Lil Wayne’s “Sorry 4 The Wait 2”
- 2014 Best of the Booth Award Winners (The Complete List)
- Who Was the Worst Rapper of 2014?
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.