Hey, do you remember that notoriously dope Leftovers mixtape we dropped last November with OnCue? Well, he’s back again with another single on par with his previous presentation. With It Usually Goes, the indie music/hip-hop blend again has a refreshing take with producer CJ Luzi’s rendition of Eisley’s haunting cut Ambulance. The Connecticut emcee remains true to the sample’s somber origins, touching base on coming from a broken home, the emotional costs of being dedicated to his craft and the struggles of coming up in an industry that tends to group white rappers together: “This is real s**t I’m livin / father’s a crackhead, my brother’s an alcoholic…I ain’t Marshall I’m a f**kin whatchacallit.” As melancholy as this might seem, the song has a more uplifting tone. We have to remember as listeners they we’ve seen the talented Cuey overcome these obstacles to deliver some seriously talented material. While this isn’t on his upcoming project, Can’t Wait, it is a most welcoming appetizer for the fans still hungry for more after Leftovers. As always, be sure to keep it locked to the DJBooth for more.
Written by Sigurd on 03/6/11
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Go Back" (2009)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Freddie Gibbs x Madlib ft. Action Bronson, Joey BadA$$ & Ransom - Knicks (Remix)
- All 79 Things Chance the Rapper Hates on “No Better Blues”
- Lupe Fiasco ft. Sirah - Lilies
- ShayGray - No Sense of Accomplishment
- F*ck Norms: Why the Critics Are Wrong About Yung Lean
- Lorenzo Asher, The Director #TopProspects
- Jay Rock - Parental Advisory
- Run the Jewels ft. Zack De La Rocha - Close Your Eyes (And Count to F*ck)
- All 72 of Drakes Billboard Top 100 Songs
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.