Update: Click “Watch Now” above to view OnCue’s Adam Ross-directed “Rich Kid” video.
Some Rich Kids got gifted BMVs on their 16th birthday, but I had to work at the local sub shop for two summers just to buy my own used Pontiac. But they say poverty breeds creativity, which might go a long way towards explaining why
OnCue’s music is do dope. The latest release from the young raspy-voices phenom, Rich Kid finds Cuey grabbing frequent production partners Brandon Duvall and CJ Luzi for a hard driving beat that pairs pounding percussion with lighter synths – call it rebellious aspirational music. Vocally OnCue is as honest and versatile as ever, pairing autobiographical verses (“my mom kept arguing, wishin that I got that diploma / but f**k that sh*t, I wanna get rich”) with a supremely catchy hook that no doubt has live show audiences in mind. If you’re listening to this one while crashing on a friend’s couch, congrats – you just found your new anthem. While Rich Kid isn’t attached to a larger project, for more from the poor-kid-turned-rich-man be sure to check out Cuey’s previous album Can’t Wait, available now.
Written by Nathan S. on 05/7/12
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Go Back" (2009)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- The Hip-Hop Albums I Need to Hear in 2015
- Meet Fanesha Fabre, the Voice Behind the “La Musica De Harry Fraud” Drop
- 1 Listen Album Review: Nicki Minaj’s (Kinda Boring) “The Pinkprint”
- Mike WiLL Made-It - Ransom
- All 93 People Named on J. Cole’s “Note To Self” Outro
- What Rappers Would You Pick for “Chicago vs. Everybody?”
- 1 Listen Album Review: J. Cole’s “2014 Forest Hills Drive” (aka F*cking Up Hip-Hop)
- The Most Sampled Rapper Voices in Hip-Hop History
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.