“Artist (fill in the blank) doesn’t sound like anyone else” has become such a common phrase that it’s ironically become cliché, but I just don’t know what else to say; OnCue is really developing his own sound. Not rapping, not singing, not rock, not pop, Cuey is not any of these things. Or maybe he’s all of them. You know what? Before I get you even more confused just listen to his new release Feet Tall, that should clear things up. With a music box meets electric guitar beat from CJ Luzi setting the backdrop, the DJBooth Freestyle alum explains that he feels like he’s finally become someone worth knowing through his music, pausing just long enough to reference Steve Urkel/Stephan, Brian Eno, a cross-dressing Shaq and more, topping off the lyrical fireworks with a understated yet engaged hook. Don’t worry, I won’t make you read any terrible puns involving OnCue’s upcoming album Can’t Wait, coming soon, but those hungry for a new full-length from Cuey can grab a dope appetizer in the form of his Leftovers project. (Sorry, I couldn’t resist at least one pun.)
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Go Back" (2009)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Win an Exclusive Vinyl Version of De La Soul’s “Smell The Da.I.S.Y.” [CONTEST]
- DJ Drama x Don Cannon x Trendsetter Sense - The Boondocks Mixtape (Season 4)
- Mick Jenkins - Steam
- Top Hip Hop / R&B Music Chart (April 14, 2014)
- Future - Honest LP
- Nas - Illmatic XX
- Dizzy Wright - State of Mind EP
- Locksmith - A Thousand Cuts
- 25 Most Popular Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of March 2014
- The Best Hip Hop Songs & Albums of 2013!
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.