“Artist (fill in the blank) doesn’t sound like anyone else” has become such a common phrase that it’s ironically become cliché, but I just don’t know what else to say; OnCue is really developing his own sound. Not rapping, not singing, not rock, not pop, Cuey is not any of these things. Or maybe he’s all of them. You know what? Before I get you even more confused just listen to his new release Feet Tall, that should clear things up. With a music box meets electric guitar beat from CJ Luzi setting the backdrop, the DJBooth Freestyle alum explains that he feels like he’s finally become someone worth knowing through his music, pausing just long enough to reference Steve Urkel/Stephan, Brian Eno, a cross-dressing Shaq and more, topping off the lyrical fireworks with a understated yet engaged hook. Don’t worry, I won’t make you read any terrible puns involving OnCue’s upcoming album Can’t Wait, coming soon, but those hungry for a new full-length from Cuey can grab a dope appetizer in the form of his Leftovers project. (Sorry, I couldn’t resist at least one pun.)
Written by Nathan S. on 06/27/11
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Go Back" (2009)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Reggie Bonds - Stream of Consciousness Pt. 1
- Eminem Vs. DJ Whoo Kid - Shady Classics
- Kid Cudi Thinks Hip-Hop Is Endangered - He’s Wrong
- Tayyib Ali - Keystone State of Mind III
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (11/21)
- What Rappers Would You Pick for “New York vs. Everybody”?
- Estonian Trap Rapper Tommy Cash is Going to Take Over the Internet
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.