J. Cole is almost always in the spotlight when he takes part in the creation of a record, but here we find him working Undercover and behind the scenes, mostly due to a supremely thorough effort from the song’s visionary, Omen. Cole leaves the mic behind, showcasing his skills behind the boards with a subtle yet interesting beat, which hosts an interesting vocal chop that is sure to catch your ear. Atop the stark production, the Chicago native drops some serious knowledge and exposes the Undercover ways in which the system looks to keep the marginalized powerless. While the subject matter is pretty heavy, Omen presents the material with a crisp flow that makes the song an enjoyable listen. This effort is set to appear on Omen’s Elephant Eyes album, due out in November.
Written by Lucas G. on 08/4/13
Member Reviews and Ratings
- DJBooth City Cypher #1 (ft. Emilio Rojas, Maffew Ragazino, Black Dave, HD & Kirk Knight)
- It’s Electric: An EDM Guide For the Hip-Hop Head
- Best/Worst Of The Week: Coolio Turns To Porn, Nicki’s Comical Booty & More
- Russ, The Wild Card #TopProspects
- Sean Brown - The Top
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)
- Common - Nobody’s Smiling
- Real Recognize Real: Wrekonize on Pink Floyd, the Rise of TDE & More
- Bobby Shmurda is the New Worst Thing to Happen to Shmusic
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.