J. Cole is almost always in the spotlight when he takes part in the creation of a record, but here we find him working Undercover and behind the scenes, mostly due to a supremely thorough effort from the song’s visionary, Omen. Cole leaves the mic behind, showcasing his skills behind the boards with a subtle yet interesting beat, which hosts an interesting vocal chop that is sure to catch your ear. Atop the stark production, the Chicago native drops some serious knowledge and exposes the Undercover ways in which the system looks to keep the marginalized powerless. While the subject matter is pretty heavy, Omen presents the material with a crisp flow that makes the song an enjoyable listen. This effort is set to appear on Omen’s Elephant Eyes album, due out in November.
Written by Lucas G. on 08/4/13
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Cam’ron - 1st of the Month Vol. 3 EP
- Best/Worst of the Week: Andre 3000 All Day, Queen Bey Reigns & More
- Draft Day: What Label Should Your Favorite Rapper Sign To?
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (August 2014)
- Kev Decor - Swamp Ass
- “Views from All Day”: Drake, Kanye & The State of Hip-Hop Leaks
- Jeezy - Seen It All: The Autobiography
- Drake vs. Lil Wayne - The Hits
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)