J. Cole is almost always in the spotlight when he takes part in the creation of a record, but here we find him working Undercover and behind the scenes, mostly due to a supremely thorough effort from the song’s visionary, Omen. Cole leaves the mic behind, showcasing his skills behind the boards with a subtle yet interesting beat, which hosts an interesting vocal chop that is sure to catch your ear. Atop the stark production, the Chicago native drops some serious knowledge and exposes the Undercover ways in which the system looks to keep the marginalized powerless. While the subject matter is pretty heavy, Omen presents the material with a crisp flow that makes the song an enjoyable listen. This effort is set to appear on Omen’s Elephant Eyes album, due out in November.
Written by Lucas G. on 08/4/13
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Kanye Thinks Drake is #1 Right Now - Is He Right? (Rap Power Rankings)
- The Weeknd - King of the Fall
- Bobby Shmurda is the New Worst Thing to Happen to Shmusic
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Mick Jenkins, The Conscience #TopProspects
- Jeremih x Shlohmo - No More EP
- HD - BBQ Goldfish
- Drake’s New Album is Titled “Views From the 6”: Dope, Wack or Eh?
- Real Recognize Real: GoldLink on Loving Lil Bibby, Shaq & Robots
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (June 2014)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.