Can a producer truly successfully step from behind the boards to in front of the mic? History is mixed. For every beatsmith to earn acclaim for their rhyme skills (Kanye) there’s another whose lyricism has been, um, let’s go with underwhelming. Which side of history will Omen find himself on? The answer begins in Forever, the first Booth feature for the man (so far) better known as a producer for J. Cole. True to form, Forever is an expertly produced track that begins as a softly symphonic cut, then explodes in sharply hitting percussion. Vocally, Omen is anything but light, attacking the mic without hesitation and lyrically delving into some of the same fearlessly autobiographical content that helped his Dreamville compatriot first standout. Whatever the final verdict on his rhyme skills, I think we can all agree the man’s no joke. Those still unsure about Omen’s future as an emcee can find plenty more evidence to arrive in the form of his upcoming Afraid of Heights Mixtape, which does not currently have a release date.
Written by Nathan S. on 01/23/11
Submit your Rating
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Beyond the Lights: Machine Gun Kelly Learns to Act Like Himself
- Reggie Bonds - Stream of Consciousness Pt. 1
- Eminem Vs. DJ Whoo Kid - Shady Classics
- Kid Cudi Thinks Hip-Hop Is Endangered - He’s Wrong
- Tayyib Ali - Keystone State of Mind III
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (11/21)
- What Rappers Would You Pick for “New York vs. Everybody”?
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.