Can a producer truly successfully step from behind the boards to in front of the mic? History is mixed. For every beatsmith to earn acclaim for their rhyme skills (Kanye) there’s another whose lyricism has been, um, let’s go with underwhelming. Which side of history will Omen find himself on? The answer begins in Forever, the first Booth feature for the man (so far) better known as a producer for J. Cole. True to form, Forever is an expertly produced track that begins as a softly symphonic cut, then explodes in sharply hitting percussion. Vocally, Omen is anything but light, attacking the mic without hesitation and lyrically delving into some of the same fearlessly autobiographical content that helped his Dreamville compatriot first standout. Whatever the final verdict on his rhyme skills, I think we can all agree the man’s no joke. Those still unsure about Omen’s future as an emcee can find plenty more evidence to arrive in the form of his upcoming Afraid of Heights Mixtape, which does not currently have a release date.
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Logic ft. Big Sean - Alright
- Top Remixes of the Month [April 2014]
- Asher Roth - Retrohash
- Iggy Azalea - The New Classic
- Joyner Lucas - Don’t Ask for Nothin
- Top Hip Hop / R&B Music Songs Chart (April 21, 2014)
- Behind The Boards Interview Series: Statik Selektah
- Future - Honest LP
- Win an Exclusive Vinyl Version of De La Soul’s “Smell The Da.I.S.Y.” [CONTEST]
- DJ Whoo Kid Breaks Down His Essential DJ Set-Up
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.