Can a producer truly successfully step from behind the boards to in front of the mic? History is mixed. For every beatsmith to earn acclaim for their rhyme skills (Kanye) there’s another whose lyricism has been, um, let’s go with underwhelming. Which side of history will Omen find himself on? The answer begins in Forever, the first Booth feature for the man (so far) better known as a producer for J. Cole. True to form, Forever is an expertly produced track that begins as a softly symphonic cut, then explodes in sharply hitting percussion. Vocally, Omen is anything but light, attacking the mic without hesitation and lyrically delving into some of the same fearlessly autobiographical content that helped his Dreamville compatriot first standout. Whatever the final verdict on his rhyme skills, I think we can all agree the man’s no joke. Those still unsure about Omen’s future as an emcee can find plenty more evidence to arrive in the form of his upcoming Afraid of Heights Mixtape, which does not currently have a release date.
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Win an Exclusive Vinyl Version of De La Soul’s “Smell The Da.I.S.Y.” [CONTEST]
- DJ Drama x Don Cannon x Trendsetter Sense - The Boondocks Mixtape (Season 4)
- Mick Jenkins - Steam
- Top Hip Hop / R&B Music Chart (April 14, 2014)
- Future - Honest LP
- Nas - Illmatic XX
- Dizzy Wright - State of Mind EP
- Locksmith - A Thousand Cuts
- 25 Most Popular Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of March 2014
- The Best Hip Hop Songs & Albums of 2013!
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.