Can a producer truly successfully step from behind the boards to in front of the mic? History is mixed. For every beatsmith to earn acclaim for their rhyme skills (Kanye) there’s another whose lyricism has been, um, let’s go with underwhelming. Which side of history will Omen find himself on? The answer begins in Forever, the first Booth feature for the man (so far) better known as a producer for J. Cole. True to form, Forever is an expertly produced track that begins as a softly symphonic cut, then explodes in sharply hitting percussion. Vocally, Omen is anything but light, attacking the mic without hesitation and lyrically delving into some of the same fearlessly autobiographical content that helped his Dreamville compatriot first standout. Whatever the final verdict on his rhyme skills, I think we can all agree the man’s no joke. Those still unsure about Omen’s future as an emcee can find plenty more evidence to arrive in the form of his upcoming Afraid of Heights Mixtape, which does not currently have a release date.
Written by Nathan S. on 01/23/11
Submit your Rating
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- 1 Listen Album Review: Big Sean’s “Dark Sky Paradise”
- Every Rapper is Going to Die & So Will I
- Rap Quiz: Bet You Can’t Guess The Album Cover Pt. 6
- An Anti-Elitist Guide to Respecting Gucci Mane
- Breaking Down the Sordid Details of the Lil Wayne vs. Cash Money Lawsuit
- Oh My God, If Drake Dies Is He A Legend?
- Fine, You Got Me: Your Favorite Rapper’s First Tweet
- 1 Listen Album Review: Drake’s “If You’re Reading This It’s Too Late”
- 2014 Best of the Booth Award Winners (The Complete List)
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.