As someone who can – and, to keep it one-hundred, occasionally do – show up at the office (aka, my living room) in my underwear, I find it an enjoyable change of pace to dress up in a suit and tie on special occasions. With that said, it’s easy to see why, for those stuck in nine-to-five drudgery, that knotted strip of cloth can start to feel like a Colorful Noose. Such was the case for Omen (the rapper who brought us Prayer, not the producer who brought us Get Back), whose latest single finds him looking back on his days as an overworked, underpaid corporate drone. Over rapper/producer Voli‘s downbeat, soul-sampled boardwork, the DreamVille emcee revisits his disgust on realizing that his reward for beating the odds (and the forces of institutional racism) to obtain a college education would be days of tedium and migraine-plagued nights. Though the record ends with his crisis unresolved, the fact that Omen’s in our earphones today suggests that things have taken a turn for the better. Like what you’re hearing? Then keep it locked for release details on the artist’s latest mixtape,Afraid of Heights.
Written by richard on 05/10/11
Member Reviews and Ratings
- DJBooth City Cypher #1 (ft. Emilio Rojas, Maffew Ragazino, Black Dave, HD & Kirk Knight)
- It’s Electric: An EDM Guide For the Hip-Hop Head
- Best/Worst Of The Week: Coolio Turns To Porn, Nicki’s Comical Booty & More
- Russ, The Wild Card #TopProspects
- Sean Brown - The Top
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)
- Common - Nobody’s Smiling
- Real Recognize Real: Wrekonize on Pink Floyd, the Rise of TDE & More
- Bobby Shmurda is the New Worst Thing to Happen to Shmusic
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.