What would rap be without The Guns? Though many would rather firearms didn’t loom so large in hip-hop’s visual and aesthetic lexicon, the bloody consequences of their prevalence in the inner-city streets makes them tough to ignore. On his latest album leak, and the 10th world premiere in The DJBooth and Event Electonics’ 20/20 Music Series, Oh No tackles the“real-life horror” of gun violence head-on. Over his own diabolical boardwork, jam-packed with cap-busting sound effects and laced with classic vocal samples (from 2Pac‘s 3 Messages, Ice-T‘s Colors and other classics) the Oxnard, Cali rapper/producer is joined on the mic by three fellow underground spitters; Stone’s Throw labelmate MED, St. Louis representer Pok Dog and Motown emcee Guilty Simpson lend their own aggressive lyrical stylings to the record’s latter portion. Does this hard-hitting selection leave you craving more? Watch the Booth for further details on Oh No’s yet-unscheduled Ohnomite LP, which has been in the works since ‘09. In addition, keep it locked for further entries in the Event 20/20 Music Series throughout October and November, and click here to learn how you can win a pair of Event’s new 20/20 BAS monitors.
Written by richard on 10/27/11
Fat Beats/Kash Rock Entertainment
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Over Broil " (2012)
Total DJ Booth Features:
- Big K.R.I.T. ft. Juicy J, Rittz & A$AP Ferg - Drinkers Club
- Once Lost, a Lil Wayne Fan Finds His Faith in “Carter V”
- Rick Ross ft. Project Pat - Elvis Presley Blvd.
- Big Sean - Untitled EP
- Chris Brown ft. Trey Songz - Songs on 12 Play
- Dyme-A-Duzin - Hip Hope
- “I’m Real”: Five Questions With Raury
- Mick Jenkins - DJBooth RapBox Freestyle
- Kendrick Sued Over “Rigamortis”, Should He Pay Up? (A Sample Clearance Guide)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.