When I think of who makes me proud to be a DMV-er, RGIII, Chuck Brown, and Oddisee are just three of the many influencers with a special place in my heart. Though Oddisee hails from DC, as he explains on the intro to his new video single, Own Appeal, he draws inspiration from all of his travels. The visuals for Own Appeal, shot during a summertime trip to the Windy City of Chicago, likewise should inspire any hip-hop head in search of authentic, intelligent raps. Atop his own dusty production—featuring a subtle vocal chomp tucked into the feathery chiming and scratchy drum beat—Oddisee gets your head bobbing with his crisp yet smooth flow and really makes you listen with some shrewd, enlightened wordplay. If Own Appeal appeals to you, be sure to keep an eye out for Oddisee’s Tangible Dream retail mixtape, coming soon.
Mello Music Group
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Hip Hop's Cool Again" (2009)
Total DJ Booth Features:
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Top Hip Hop / R&B Music Chart (April 14, 2014)
- Future - Honest LP
- Nas - Illmatic XX
- Dizzy Wright - State of Mind EP
- Locksmith - A Thousand Cuts
- King Mez - Long Live the King
- Freeway x Girl Talk - Broken Ankles EP
- 25 Most Popular Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of March 2014
- Behind The Boards Interview Series: !llmind
- The Best Hip Hop Songs & Albums of 2013!
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.