When I think of who makes me proud to be a DMV-er, RGIII, Chuck Brown, and Oddisee are just three of the many influencers with a special place in my heart. Though Oddisee hails from DC, as he explains on the intro to his new video single, Own Appeal, he draws inspiration from all of his travels. The visuals for Own Appeal, shot during a summertime trip to the Windy City of Chicago, likewise should inspire any hip-hop head in search of authentic, intelligent raps. Atop his own dusty production—featuring a subtle vocal chomp tucked into the feathery chiming and scratchy drum beat—Oddisee gets your head bobbing with his crisp yet smooth flow and really makes you listen with some shrewd, enlightened wordplay. If Own Appeal appeals to you, be sure to keep an eye out for Oddisee’s Tangible Dream retail mixtape, coming soon.
Written by Lucas G. on 10/27/13
Submit your Rating
Mello Music Group
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Hip Hop's Cool Again" (2009)
Total DJ Booth Features:
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- The Hip-Hop Albums I Need to Hear in 2015
- 4 Fresh Songs (& An Album) You Might Have Missed (12/15)
- Meet Fanesha Fabre, the Voice Behind the “La Musica De Harry Fraud” Drop
- 1 Listen Album Review: Nicki Minaj’s (Kinda Boring) “The Pinkprint”
- Mike WiLL Made-It - Ransom
- All 93 People Named on J. Cole’s “Note To Self” Outro
- 1 Listen Album Review: J. Cole’s “2014 Forest Hills Drive” (aka F*cking Up Hip-Hop)
- The Most Sampled Rapper Voices in Hip-Hop History
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.