Many rappers would have you believe that they’re hustling 24 hours a day, seven days a week, 365 days a year. Not only is that impossible—you’d pass out from sheer exhaustion inside of 11 days—but it’s not the most efficient way to work. Oddisee, for one, freely admits that you’ve got to “turn your Hustle Off, and slow your speed” every now and then, in order to recharge your batteries and avoid reckless decisions. Coming on the heels of the similarly-themed Slow It Down (off Mello Music Group‘s forthcoming compilation), the DMV fave’s latest single finds him showcasing his skills on both sides of the mixing boards. With an appropriately leisurely keyboard-percusioin groove as his backdrop, the artist offers a holistic approach to success in the game. In a flow dripping with chill self-confidence, he warns against “jumpin’ ahead of [yourself] and diggin’ a deeper ditch,” instead advising listeners to pursue their goals in a thoughtful, measured manner. As insightful as it is ear-pleasing, this head-noddable selection is one of many bangers to be found on Odd’s People Hear What They See, due out June 12, via Mello Music Group.
Written by richard on 04/12/12
Submit your Rating
Mello Music Group
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Hip Hop's Cool Again" (2009)
Total DJ Booth Features:
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Heat Check: How Do You Feel About Drake’s “How About Now”
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (10/17)
- Freddie Gibbs x Madlib ft. Action Bronson, Joey BadA$$ & Ransom - Knicks (Remix)
- All 79 Things Chance the Rapper Hates on “No Better Blues”
- Lupe Fiasco ft. Sirah - Lilies
- ShayGray - No Sense of Accomplishment
- F*ck Norms: Why the Critics Are Wrong About Yung Lean
- Lorenzo Asher, The Director #TopProspects
- All 72 of Drakes Billboard Top 100 Songs
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.